Windows 10 MSI Laptop Getting Slow Internet Speed Test Results on Windows 10 Pro 1803.

• Thread starter Thread starter Over-Dose
  • Start date Start date
O

Over-Dose

I have 3 machines that are running Windows 10 Pro 1803, two of which are Laptops (1 x Acer TMP453-MG & 1 x MSI GE70-2PE). The MSI is for work exclusively and the Acer is primarily for multimedia stuff.

I use the laptops at home and at work. At home I have a Huawei B315 LTE modem (best speeds are 95Mbps Down + 8Mbps Up via Ethernet connection), but I connect the laptops via WiFi to get internet at home. At the office we have a Fibre connection which gets best speeds of 100Mbps Up + 100 Mbps Down, and the MSI is connected via Ethernet cable for access to server info, and the Acer remains on WiFi, but still has access to the mapped server drives.

Yesterday I fixed a different issue related to the Data Usage Meter not working on the MSI laptop, then I ran speed tests at work just to see that all is in order. I discovered that the MSI was achieving slower speed test results as compared to the Acer laptop, while on the same network.

Here are some of the speed tests I achieved from the work network and the home network.

Work Network:
MSI Laptop:
94.71 Mbps Download & 0.81 Mbps Upload connected via LAN.
26.35 Mbps Download & 29.76 Mbps Upload connected via WiFi.

Acer Laptop:
94.13 Mbps Download & 94.36 Mbps Upload connected via LAN.
72.22 Mbps Download & 44.71 Mbps Upload connected via WiFi.

Home Network:

MSI Laptop:

77.09 Mbps Download & 0.88 Mbps Upload connected via LAN.
45.13 Mbps Download & 3.70 Mbps Upload connected via WiFi.

Acer Laptop:
85.58 Mbps Download & 5.28 Mbps Upload connected via LAN.
63.82 Mbps Download & 7.81 Mbps Upload connected via WiFi.

So from the above speed tests, the Acer machine better reflects the true internet speeds of whichever network the machines are connected to.

What could I look for that is happening on the MSI laptop that seems to be working fine on the Acer laptop? I didn't make any extra tweaks to either of the Windows 10 installs on either machines.

Continue reading...

Back