Windows 10 Multiple App crashes and BSODs

• Thread starter Thread starter mars20
  • Start date Start date
M

mars20

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing "random" app (mostly games) crashes and BSODs on my computer for a quite some time now. Recently I finally decided to troubleshoot these issues. I'm getting quite desperate as I cannot find a solution for some time now. I'll really appreciate any help from this community!

PC specs:

Item: Value
OS Name : Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version: 10.0.19042 Build 19042
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: B450 AORUS ELITE
System Type: x64-based PC
System SKU: Default string
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor, 3801 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends International, LLC. F62a, 2021-03-29
SMBIOS Version: 3.3
Embedded Controller Version: 255.255
BIOS Mode: UEFI
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions: Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware: Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection: Yes

What's actually happening:

I'm experiencing, seemingly random, app crashes when I'm playing different games. Sometimes I'm able to play for hours without any issues, sometimes the game crashes several times per hour. These are mostly online, multiplayer games. These are app crashes that'll get me to desktop. Then there are, also seemingly random, BSODs. These are sometimes happening during gaming as well, but quite often they're happening also when the PC is idle - I leave the PC with some browsers etc. open and leave, when I come back, the PC is restarted and in the logs/events I can see that there was a BSOD.

BSOD Dump Files:

First of all here's a screenshot from BlueScreeView which shows couple of last crashes:

I can provide content of these dump files if requested. I tried to analyze them through the WinDbg tool, but I'm unable to understand much from them. I tried to look to a MODULE_NAME/IMAGE_NAME attributes from the !analyze command, which I understood should point to the module that caused the crash. These are the modules I found there for each dump file in the list above:

041121-6421-01.dmp - cbfsconnect2017/cbfsconnect2017.sys (No idea what this is - Google says it's a "CBFS Connect Driver" never installed anything like this - can't find a reference anywhere that something like this would be actually running on my computer - can't find it in processes or among the installed programs) - This one happened when the PC was idle, as described above

041021-5671-01.dmp - nt/ntkrnlmp.exe - This one happened right after I tried to reinstall Realtek Audio drivers

040821-5578-01.dmp - [COLOR=rgba(30, 30, 30, 1)]bindflt/bindflt.sys - This one happened when the PC was idle[/COLOR]

040221-6796-01.dmp - nt/ntkrnlmp.exe

032921-8031-01.dmp - nt/ntkrnlmp.exe

Event Viewer log files regarding the Game crashes:

I tried to collect several Event Viewer records regarding the crashed games:

Faulting application name: CivilizationVI.exe, version: 1.0.11.16, time stamp: 0x601c0174

Faulting module name: CivilizationVI.exe, version: 1.0.11.16, time stamp: 0x601c0174

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000178ee09

Faulting process id: 0x1d30

Faulting application start time: 0x01d72c93db2bb36e

Faulting application path: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe

Faulting module path: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe

Report Id: 2860cee3-16a6-45d6-a59f-bfb93ff59114

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: Northgard.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60002386

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000076ca9f00380a

Faulting process id: 0x4704

Faulting application start time: 0x01d72987b6a339e0

Faulting application path: D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Northgard\Northgard.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 5cdb840e-048d-4b8a-ba6b-1fafe5721df4

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

This repeats for other games (not only Steam games) as well - I did not consider to raise this with the game supports themselves as it really looks like there's rather something wrong with my PC as it's happening for almost all games I'm playing.

What I tried so far:

- Clean install of Windows (end of January this year)

- Reinstall all drivers from the Motherboard manufacturer (right after the Win reinstall)

- Installed latest BIOS drivers (last update approx. one week ago)

- Reinstalled NVIDIA drivers (basically followed this approach -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fota2e5ltq4&t=1096s
- to properly uninstall old drivers and install new ones - I did it this Tuesday - 2021-04-06 - got multiple game crashes and BSODs till then as well)

- Tried to do the sfc /scannow - no issues found.

- Tried to do the chkdsk scans for both of my drives - no issues found

- Tried to do the Memtest86 test last week - ran it for 15 hours, 7 passes, 0 errors

- Tried to reinstall Microsoft C++ Redistributables

- Ran Windows Deffender and Malwarebytes scans, nothing there

- I found out that there's a yellow exclamation mark next to Realtek Audio device in device manager - the driver for it was not working properly. So I downloaded the driver for Realtek Audio again from the Motherboard manufacturer and reinstalled it. The installation was strange, it looked like I was caught in a circle (Initiated the drivers installation -> restart required to finish install -> restarted the PC -> installation automatically resumed after PC booted -> restart required to finish install -> again). It wanted me to restart the PC like three times. After the third restart, I got one of the BSODs (the second one in the list above), after booting up from the BSOD, the installation for the driver resumed again and no other restart was required. It looks like the driver is working fine now (no error in Device Manager) and I can open Realtek Audio Console etc.

- There was one more warning Device Manager - unidentified PCI device with no available driver online - I Googled its HW ID and found out that it was "NVIDIA USB Type-C Port Policy Controller", I installed driver for that from nvidia update package successfully and the warning from device manager disappeared.

These two things - those drivers installation - were done yesterday. Yesterday in the evening I played Civilization 6 for 5 hours or so with no crash. But then this afternoon I got the latest BSOD with the cbfsconnect2017 module error.

I'm getting quite desperate here. I have no idea where to look next. I was also scanning my PC during gaming sessions for unusually high temperatures, but all values seemed to be in normal. I also tried to stresstest my GPU and CPU through Unigine Heaven Benchmark and Heavy Load utilities for approx. an hour-long tests, no crashes during these stress tests.

I'll deeply appreciate any help, thanks in advance to everyone who spends some time on this.

M.

Continue reading...