Windows 10 Multiple games not launching. Possible error in kernelbase.dll

• Thread starter Thread starter JamieReid3
  • Start date Start date
J

JamieReid3

I have several games that simply do not launch when trying to run them (Terraria, Stardew Valley, and Borderlands 2 are the most recent I've tried), but plenty of other games that run with no problems (including Borderlands the Pre-Sequel surprisingly enough). I upgraded to a new computer with Windows 10 a year and a half ago from a computer with Windows 7, and I can't fully remember if these games stopped working on the older computer at some point but have definitely never worked on the new one. I no longer have the old computer to re-check. I don't believe it is a specific issue with these games however - I have tried redownloading, reinstalling, running as administrator and with various compatibility modes, none of which work. Since no error message comes up when attempting to launch the games, I have had to look in Event Viewer to see what could be going wrong, and each time get several errors appearing there. The latest example:

Source - .NET Runtime, EventID 1026

Application: Stardew Valley.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.BadImageFormatException
at StardewValley.Program.Main(System.String[])

Source - Application Error, EventID 1000

Faulting application name: Stardew Valley.exe, version: 1.3.7346.34283, time stamp: 0x5e42fa69
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.815, time stamp: 0x67005c2a
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00114402
Faulting process ID: 0x2178
Faulting application start time: 0x01d65290823d2f60
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 3b3c1d2c-80be-46a6-ada8-11f8d5f1f2de
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Fault bucket 1858694011075777017, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

I have tried reinstalling .NET Framework, replacing the kernelbase dll files in C:/Windows/System32 and SysWOW64 with those from another computer, creating another user profile, running sfc /scannow in the cmd prompt, all with no effect.

I found a post that suggested un-registering then re-registering the dll in the command prompt, but that just brings up this error:

"The module "KernelBase.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllUnregisterServer was not found.
Make sure that "KernelBase.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."

and then if I ignore it and try to re-register it gives the same error, but with ...entry-point DllRegisterServer... instead.

I'm at a loss on how to fix this, short of starting over and reinstalling windows from scratch, which I'm reluctant to do as I don't have a lot of free time to redownload/reinstall everything (connection speed in my area is kind of slow). I've been ignoring the problem up to now since I do have plenty of other games, but I've just bought Stardew Valley in the Steam summer sale and would like to try getting it running before considering a refund.

Continue reading...