Windows 10 My laptop randomly shut down and was stripped of all personalisation. It is increasingly tempremental and I have no idea what to do. Help?

• Thread starter Thread starter Irate10
  • Start date Start date
I

Irate10

Hello,

I will preface this by stating that I am an absolute novice when it comes to computers. If this issue has a really simple fix, has been asked a million times before or has been posted in the wrong place, I can only apologise.

A few days ago (29/11/19) I had just turned on my laptop and signed into my account, when the laptop shutdown. I assumed this was due to the battery and began charging it and turned it back on. I got a message as I logged on (can't remember what) and then got another message: "C:\Windows\systems32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable". This happened once before and was fixed by an update. I updated my laptop and when I logged on it was slightly better. However, I still cannot access my documents or desktop, many of my desktop shortcuts are not displayed, the taskbar is locked and cannot be edited, not all of the system settings are accessible and personalisation is impossible (background is plain black and I cannot change it or the lock screen). I have attempted to follow other guides for similar issues but have had no luck (I have tried uninstalling recent updates and checking if the user profile is corrupt).

If anyone has any notion of what I should do next, I will gladly welcome suggestions. Please be patient with advice because I am essentially illiterate with regards to computers.

Many thanks,

Irate

Continue reading...

Back