Windows 10 My new M.2 NVMe SSD is not recognized as UEFI Hard Disk after installing Windows 10

• Thread starter Thread starter Christian Degn
  • Start date Start date
C

Christian Degn

Hello everyone,

I have recently bought a new M.2 NVMe SSD to install Windows 10 on, but after installing Windows from a USB created with the Windows Media Creation Tool (I have also tried with Rufus), the NVMe SSD is not recognized as a UEFI Hard Disk resulting in Windows being unable to finish the installation.

• I have updated the BIOS to the latest version (that is not a beta)
  • I have disabled CSM and Secure Boot
  • I am booting the UEFI OS USB Hard Disk
  • I have disconnected all other hard disks and devices
  • I have been performing a clean install following Greg's guide (so many times with small variations...)
    • Everything works fine until the installation is complete and the system needs to restart. This is where the Windows installation starts all over again. And yes, I have tried to remove the USB right before the system restarts. This will result in booting directly into the BIOS.
    • I have looked up the NVMe SSD in the boot order in the BIOS, but it is not there. It is however visible in legacy mode if CSM is enabled.
    • When booting Windows on my SATA SSD, I can see the NVMe drive having an EFI partition and also windows files on it.

• I have also tried to clone Windows 10 from another hard disk, but unsuccessfully as my other hard disks have sector sizes of 512 and my NVMe SSD has a sector size of 4096.

• I have tried to install Windows using a Recovery Drive, but the installation will freeze at 30% and result in an error explaining how windows was unable to install the recovery and no changes have been made.

• The Troubleshooting tool has also been tested without any luck.

Some information:

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

BIOS: MSI Click Bios (version: 7B85v1C)

SSD: WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

The drive can be formatted and used to store files just fine, but I would really like to boot from it. I am running out of ideas though.

Any help or feedback would be much appreciated!

Best regards,

Christian

Continue reading...

Back