Windows 10 My PC shuts down randomly in 5 minutes of turning it on

• Thread starter Thread starter TM396
  • Start date Start date
T

TM396

Hello,

Since the last month, my PC would only display a black screen after being inactive for some time, and not wake up. I did not pay much heed to this problem as I seldom leave it on sleep mode or inactive. On the few occasions that I did so I had to directly unplug it and then restart.

However, since the last few days, it has been acting very peculiarly. It barely stays on for 5 minutes after turning it on. Does not really shut down properly, the screen just goes black and I cannot do anything with it. The CPU continues to show the power button light on. I tried restarting in safe mode but the problem persists. Sometimes, it dies at 5 minutes, sometime in 2, and sometimes even in the process of booting up. The boot up screen shows different messages and screens at different times. Sometimes it flashes a single dash on the top left corner screen before proceeding with boot up, sometimes "preparing automatic recovery" and "diagnosing your PC", sometimes the troubleshoot screen.

What's more peculiar is that this problem is not consistent. It first happened on Friday morning and I could not get my computer to work for a long time. But then it started and worked well for a couple hours on Friday night and then all of Saturday (10-12 hours). The problem happened again on Sunday morning. After 15-20 tries, the computer started functioning in the afternoon and worked well till I turned it off at night. And today is Monday, and it won't work again. Tried almost 15-20 times again.

Not sure if relevant but some more info: Installed a Windows update on Sunday morning during one if the 5-min sessions. Also, it has been raining very heavily since 3 days here, wondering if that could have caused the problem.

Please help. Thank you.

Continue reading...