Windows 10 My Windows 10 might be corrupted and cannot use Media Creation Tool to resolve the problem

• Thread starter Thread starter SylEcole
  • Start date Start date
S

SylEcole

Hi everyone,

Two days ago, I noticed a problem with my search bar on the start-up menu (to be more precise, everything was cool, I put my PC to sleeping mode so I could continue my work after and went down to prepare to table for Christmas, I came back some hours later and then the problem occured). It just didn't appear when I start typing and when I click on the magnifying glass icon, nothing happens. I've seen multiple posts where people said to use the following commands :-

• sfc /scannow -> crashes at 5% saying that " windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"
  • chkdsk /F (sometimes /R) -> crashes but I forgot the error msg since I have to reboot my computer to do this and I waste something like 4-5h, which I cannot since I have a lot of work to finish to the end of the month.
  • dism /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (or CheckHealth) -> crashes at 18.7% saying that "The WOF driver encountered a corruption in the compressed file's Resource Table" with the error 4448.

But all of these crashes at some point. I then found a blog article where someone linked a video saying that you could use the media creation tool to basically do a fresh install of Windows 10 and keeping every files/applications you have, which is really important for me. So I tried to use it but then I have the following error :

error 8007042b-4001E

Installation failed Phase SECOND_BOOT with PRE_OOBE error.

I have read that this error might be due to low space storage, I have 115 Go free so I guess that's not it.

I use a Samsung SSD that I got one year ago (and I don't know if the problems started this long ago but until 2 days ago I hadn't any problem with the search bar) and I had an HDD before that. I formatted it once all the data I had on it was successfully set on the SSD and decided to keep it as a second disk to store some things. Ihave seen recently, using CrystalDiskInfo that the HDD had problems (something like 2 "incorrigble problems" and two partitions with problems). I thought it might come from there and so I disconnected it but I still have troubles with my start-up menu.

Maybe something else worth mentionning is that when I try to launch some games I had an error saying that "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\D3DCompiler_42.dll has an error or is not made to work under Windows", I don't know if it's related or not.

I really don't know what to do and it kinda worries me.

If anyone has a solution, I'll gladly take it.

Thanks in advance

N.B. : English is not my mother tongue, so there might be grammatical errors but the error messages should be correctly translated, if something's not clear enough, don't hesitate to ask and I'll explain myself better :)

Continue reading...

Back