Windows 10 NAS not showing in Explorer after Win 10 Update - fixed with a solution not found elsewhere

• Thread starter Thread starter brucecharlesrobinson
  • Start date Start date
B

brucecharlesrobinson

Posting this to share.

I use a D-Link NAS on a home workgroup network.

I've used the same setup for years back to XP and have encountered various reasons for the various issues.

Like many, I've been plagued by problems with the latest raft of Win 10 Updates.

The long and short of it is that I have found a solution (the only solution that has been successful for me), it is simple, not obvious, I haven't come across it elsewhere so am just throwing it out there in case it helps anyone.

A solution for some is to enable SMB 1.0 Client. What I have found is as follows: when the NAS (or other device) is not showing, it may be due to SMB1.0 being disabled. (bear with me, - I know that issue is well-documented, so readers may be thinking this is not new).

I have found that on each occasion that a Win 10 Update has 'broken' my NAS link, I may go and look at SMB1.0 and see that it is enabled still, i.e. check-box ticked. That, according to the interweb should mean that the reason it doesn't work is not because SMB1.0 is not enabled (excuse the treble negative).

What I have found is that I have to uncheck this, and restart. Then re-check and restart. And all is rosy once more in my garden (until the next update). So whilst it shows SMB1.0 Client is enabled, it has to be disabled and re-enabled with restarts in between.

I won't go into the various things I've tried, history etc. I have various machines with both Win 10 Pro and Home and have some on Insider Programme and some on standard Win Updates.

I've trekked through why this is happening re: Windows retiring SMB1.0 for security reasons, 'checking' to see whether a User is still using it before disabling it, D-Link not updating firmware for an old NAS still using SMB1.0 blah blah and not really interested in the whys and wherefores, just for t to work. Having spent a lot of time I had no interest to do so trying to resolve I thought I had concluded the solution was to chuck the NAS out and get a newer one not using the offending SMB1.0 (which I'd rather have done than spent the time figuring out the reason being SMB1.0, and may now do anyhow rather than fighting against the tide).

But if you've tried everything else, and see SMB1.0 is checked but Update has broken your NAS links (I have different behaviours on different machines - on some mapped drives get broken only, on others the NAS appears in Network Locations and can be accessed that way, in some it appears but can't be accessed, just a completely unfathomable bugger's muddle), try unchecking all under SMB1.0 including removing the 'black' as opposed to check, restart, check them all, restart (it probably only needs Client but can't be bothered finding out)......

Works for me, repeatedly after multiple updates and multiple machines.

Nothing else has done so reliably.

Hope it helps someone

Continue reading...