Windows 10 Need Help! Ping Spike Every Exact Minute?

• Thread starter Thread starter ZhaoPH
  • Start date Start date
Z

ZhaoPH

Hi,

I lately experienced ping spikes. Although I don't remember the exact moment that this occurs, I think it first occurred this week.

PC Spec: (Apology for the Chinese texts)

I have updated the system and drivers a couple of weeks back (in June), but no changes are taken this week.

First step I did was to monitor via task manager, suspecting 'IP Helper' and 'DNS Client' services, so I turned off IP helper, IPv6 and set DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. This did not work. I flushed DNS cache and reset WinSock, turned off delivery optimisation in Windows Update, these didn't work neither. I then turned off the router for one whole night, turning back on, this did not work. Edited Regedit - created a few TCPNoDelay keywords. This did not work.

Then I decided to use PingPlotter and trace google.com, (before the Red vertical line)

Then I saw that ping spike happening at every exact minute (updating every 1 sec). I monitored the pings for a bit, including pinging my router, finding that these ping spikes happened between the pc and the router as well. (this was also confirmed by using a ping monitor on my mobile, here, that my mobile using WiFi was not experiencing the ping spikes, so that this was likely to do with my pc) The final approach I took was to use the WLAN Optimiser here. (This is what's behind that red vertical line)

And tracks for minutes later:

It now looks like the problem has been solved, partially. (Great thanks to Martin) But clearly there still exists ping spikes. I want to ask that if anyone knows what is happening/what causes this ping spikes problem? And what solutions I can try? Do I have to turn on WLAN optimiser all the time or if there's a simple fix doing the same work as the optimiser? Any help is greatly appreciated.

(A few further backgrounds: I found this out when I was playing the game Valorant recently, I did not experience these spikes at the first two weeks, but only realised them very lately. I updated Windows on the 9th, so that was after I played Valorant. So I do suspect a bit about the this Windows update. The problem itself is not devastating, but it does make online gameplay impossible because of the constant rubber-banding.)

Many Thanks,
ZPH

--------------------

Edit 1: For Martin's WLAN Optimiser, I've turned Autoconfig on, Background scan off, streaming mode on.

Continue reading...