Windows 10 Need Help Recovering 2 Virtual Disks and 30TB Storage Pool After OS Reinstall Windows 10 Enterprise

• Thread starter Thread starter VigilanteJustis
  • Start date Start date
V

VigilanteJustis

I was having odd but similar issues on 2 different systems running Windows !0 Enterprise Insider Preview Build 21277 in the Dev Channel. I was able to resolve the issues on one system, but not the other and had to reinstall from USB (currently a non-insider version of Windows 10 Enterprise). After the install I can't seem to bring back my virtual disks or storage pool.

I've been able to bring them back previously after similar issues, but this time I can't manage to do it, and feel like I'm missing something.

This system was actually running Windows Server 2016 when the original storage pool was created, but I was able to install Windows 10 and bring back the storage pool (several times) without ever losing the data on the virtual disk.

One thing I haven't tried is going back into the Windows Insider Dev Channel because of the issues I was having originally that forced the re-install. I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm not quite sure what. Obviously I'd like to recover the data, which I'm sure is still there, I just can't seem to get the storage pool back.

Below are some screenshots and results. Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.

The physical disks show up, both in PowerShell and Disk Management, but the storage pool only shows up in PowerShell, not the Storage Spaces GUI. In the screenshot below you can see that the physical disks are shown as "Healthy (Storage Spaces Protective Partition).

get-physicaldisk results

Note:
The SSD holds the OS

Disk Management

get-storagepool results

Storage Spaces

get-virtualdisk results

I tried repair-virtualdisk via PowerShell, but since I can't get the disk to display, I don't know what the FriendlyName is. I tried "Virtual Disk", but either didn't work or wasn't correct.

repair-virtualdisk results

Continue reading...

Back