Windows 10 Need to restrict Windows access to folder on Synology NAS but don't know how users/workgroup plays into it

• Thread starter Thread starter JCR_777
  • Start date Start date
J

JCR_777

Our company has a Synology NAS that we all access over ethernet. I need to restrict one sub-folder on it to just a couple of users, and I would like to do this so that the folder access is authenticated using the Windows user login, so once the user has logged into windows the folder will just open and show contents if they have permissions and won't open if they do not.

I am unsure how to do this as it seems permissions get set for folders in the Synology dashboard, and that NAS has users that are different from the WIndows users on each PC. So wondering how to make the Synology permissions controllable through Windows.

I am a novice at this, and am not entirely sure how Workgroups work, but I imagine I could either add the two users I want to give permission to to the folder sharing settings on the NAS, or alternately make a Workgroup with the two users and then add the Workgroup to the NAS folder permissions?

Any help solving this is appreciated, thanks!

Continue reading...

Back