Windows 10 New drivers for HP printer stopped 5 computers from printing

• Thread starter Thread starter dagar7
  • Start date Start date
D

dagar7

Chiropractor office with 5 computers all running Windows 10 vs 2004 and had the CU from last Tuesday (Oct. 13, 2020) installed. Monday, all 5 could no longer print to their HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fnw printer. I deleted each computers Printer, add a new printer, search found a couple of versions of the printer but not the right version until I selected printer not found and searched for an older printer, where it found the proper version of the printer and I then had to tell it not to use the current driver, but to use the old driver. This worked on all 5 computers, but I am concerned that Microsoft will hit them again with bad drivers, so I need to look into how to prevent this from happening again. Unfortunately, I was working on this during business hours and had to get them running quickly. I did not take time to look up what drivers had been installed or try to uninstall the new drivers. I can check it out further on the weekend if they don't get messed up again before then.

I later checked the HP website for new drivers, and the ones they have a date in 2020, but they are the same old drivers from 2017.

I read a post on Ten Forums that mentioned Microsoft planning to block third party drivers from installing if not signed properly, but in this case the new drivers came from Microsoft, not a third party download.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back