Windows 10 New Hard Disk unknown and not initialized + slow boot time

• Thread starter Thread starter AndreaMorozzi
  • Start date Start date
A

AndreaMorozzi

Hi, i want to apologize in advance for my spelling if some mistakes occur but english is not my first language.

I recently bought a new secondary hd (wd blue 1tb 7200rpm 64mb cache 3.5"), i connected the sata cable to the motherboard, connected the psu cable and booted the pc. I entered the BIOS and it read something in the SATA port (the correct port where i connected the hd) but it didn't show any name, it just read 0.00GB.

So I proceeded to windows (my OS runs on a NVMe SSD) and opened Disk Manager. Of course it told me there was a new drive which needed to be initialized. I left selected MBR and pressed ok, but right after I got an error which said "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

So I shut down the pc and checked the connections, uplugged and plugged back everything, but this time when i went to the BIOS it didn't show anything under any SATA port, it just said N/A. Went to windows and disk manager again and it asked me the same thing: there's a new drive that i need to initialize. Thinking that it was useless to do the same thing again i tried to initialize selecting GPT instead of MBR, but this time it said that I specified a non-existing device.

Shut down the pc again and tried with a different SATA cable but the bios still wasn't seeing anything connected to the sata port.

I also checked if I was using the SATA ports that don't work when a NVMe drive is connected but that wasn't the problem.

I even tried to connect the drive using a USB->SATA cable directly to the motherboard but windows wasn't seeing anything under Device Manager or Disk Manager.

Also, and I don't know if it may have anything to do with it, but when the drive is connected my pc takes an enormous amount of time to boot (around 2/2.5 minutes) while previously it only took 10-15 seconds, and I already checked the boot priority, the only thing there is my SSD. But when i disconnect the SATA cable from the HD the system boot up as normal.

Thanks to anyone who may help me, i have no idea if I'm doing something wrong or the hard drive is just broken. I tried searching some of those errors but I keep reading "check the drivers", but if I can't see the drive in Device Manager how am I supposed to check for drivers?

Continue reading...