Windows 10 New PC build randomly hanging / freezing / locking up. Sometimes happens after 2 weeks, othertimes after 2 hours.

• Thread starter Thread starter RedBenly64
  • Start date Start date
R

RedBenly64

This a fairly new PC build (~2 months) and I'm kind of at my wits end trying to find the root cause and get this resolved hopefully. I'm fairly technical, but running at a bit of a loss with this gremlin... When the PC locks-up, I can still move the mouse, type on the keyboard on whichever window happens to be the last one open, as well as chat with people on discord, however I can't bring up any other apps or programs, switch windows, or do a soft reboot by clicking reboot from the start menu (I can open the start menu, but not select anything from it).

Specs are as follows:

CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 (Wifi)

RAM: Corsair CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 DDR4 (32GB - 2x 16GB Sticks)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super

Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (OS) & Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB M.2 (Data)

As the title suggests the lockups happen seemingly at random. Over all, I've probably had 10-20 since I've built the PC, with varying amounts of TS'ing so far to no avail. When the system locks up I can still open Task Manager by right-clicking on the taskbar, but no high processes or spikes can be seen. When viewing the logs in event viewer this is the only odd log that I can see:

The previous system shutdown at 7:48:29 AM on ‎12/‎28/‎2020 was unexpected.

Level: Error | Date & Time: 12/28/2020 8:29:44 AM | Source: EventLog | Event ID: 6008 | Task Catagory: None (I do find it odd that the times don't match, as the freeze happened 8:29:44 AM.)

After the first few lockups, I installed Whocrashed, but this tool isn't reporting or noticing anything, after the PC reboots. Since then, I've uninstalled all of the unnecessary NVIDIA programs, limited the CPU to maxing at 95% power, completed a memtest on the RAM, that came back OK, and ran a chkdsk /f /r which came back ok as well.

Thanks in advance for any & all suggestions.

Continue reading...

Back