Windows 10 New USB devices plugged in stop being recognized, computer no longer shuts down properly

• Thread starter Thread starter Dai_Lol
  • Start date Start date
D

Dai_Lol

Hello!

I've been having a recurring problem where, at one point (can be as soon as after 24 hours, when coming back from work), all my USB drives will completely ignore new USB devices being plugged in. If they were already plugged in, they will keep working provided I don't try to plug them out and back in.

When this starts occurring, shutting down my PC no longer "works", as in, the Power icon on the tower never shuts off, I need to force shut it down by holding the button down for a few seconds. Rebooting this way fixes all issues until they start happening again after a few days.

There are a few symptoms that may or may not be related that I figure might help isolate the problem. I have suspicions they are related as they only happen after some days of leaving the computer open as well and usually at the same time the USB issue occurs as well:

- My High Definition Audio Bus stops working. I get an error on it in Hardware Manager and it's a 50/50 toss whether I can restart it or be forced to reboot the computer to fix it since attempting it might freeze the Hardware Manager. I have a 3 monitor setup where the 3rd screen is my living room TV I sometimes use to listen to videos in the living room. When this problem occurs, I can no longer transfer the Audio to this monitor since it doesn't exist in the list of available outputs anymore.

- I can no longer start games on Steam.

- I can encounter issues with going full screen when watching video content, either streaming or local videos where the image will freeze up for a few seconds whenever I go in or out of full screen.

What I've tried:

- Going through https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...rking-after-you-remove-or-insert-a-usb-device while the problem was occurring.

Method 1 scans for changes infinitely.

Method 3 froze the Device Manager.

The "Workaround" I didn't attempt since I don't have a registry entry called "USB", there are several USB entries so I didn't dare touch this.

Furthermore, I did find the advanced setting in my Control Panel's Power Settings about Selective Suspend and it was already set to Disabled.

- Complete computer shut down ( shutting down, unplugging EVERYTHING and holding the power button for a minute before replugging everything in)

- Selective testing of USB devices to see if one of them was causing the issue: I'm not entirely through this one, but I feel like unplugging my external SSD drive actually did delay the problem occurring, however it did still happen eventually. Could this SSD external drive possibly be the problem?

Is all this pointing to some known problem I could fix? It is being extremely annoying to deal with, forcing me to reboot several times a week and I wish I could get rid of it. Thanks!

Continue reading...

Back