Windows 10 "NLS data is missing or contains errors" - Can't Boot - Can I Fix It with an Installation Disk?

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnBreen3
  • Start date Start date
J

JohnBreen3

[If this sounds familiar, it's the second (and more immediate) of the two problems that I posted here. This part was getting lost, so I'm moving it to a separate thread.]

I tried to use Dell's AlienWare "Respawn" tool to fix a BSoD problem (see link above for original problem). Now it immediately goes to a BSoD that says the following:

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]Recovery[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]Your PC/Device needs to be repaired[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]The operating system couldn't be loaded because the NLS data is missing or contains errors.[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]Error code: 0xc0000242[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]Press Enter to try again[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]Press F1 to enter Recovery Environment[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]Press F8 for Startup Settings[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings[/COLOR]​

I don't have a recovery disc, but I created an installation USB with the Windows Media Creation Tool on another PC. Trying a restore with its Startup Repair option from the Recovery window failed. I have a SrtTrail.txt file at the link below, but I don't know for certain if it was from this attempt. The only date in the file implies that it's from before the NLS problem.

I tried running DISM from the Command Line. I'm new to DISM, but I gathered that to run it from the installation recovery, I needed to use the /image:C:\ option. First, I tried /RevertPendingActions:

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]dism /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions /scratchdir:c:\temp[/COLOR]​

It appeared to run successfully. I rebooted, but the NLS problem was still there. So I booted from the installation USB again and ran the above command again. I didn't copy the whole output or the log, but it failed with [COLOR=rgba(215, 57, 0, 1)]error 0x800f082f[/COLOR]. I then tried the following command:

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]dism /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /checkhealth /scratchdir:c:\temp[/COLOR]​

It said that it was repairable. So then I tried:

[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]dism /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth /scratchdir:c:\temp[/COLOR]​

At 31.1%, it fails with [COLOR=rgba(215, 57, 0, 1)]Error: 234[/COLOR]. I did save the screen output and log of this here: debug-20210410

The (possibly old) SrtTrail.txt file is in there also.

Can anyone confirm if I'm using the correct command? It seems like it should be able to repair this from an installation disc.

Do I need to specify the /source option?

Thanks.

Continue reading...