Windows 10 No internet access but I have internet (using cable, NOT wifi) - Answer

• Thread starter Thread starter wyollinger
  • Start date Start date
W

wyollinger

The issue title says it all and I came across a thread of the same name that was locked without resolution here. So I wanted to post a response in some way since I was able to resolve my issue after some digging. If any 'pro-users' of this site know of a better way to respond to a locked thread let me know.

Basically I had bad DNS and switching my DNS entries to Google's public DNS (or some other DNS you trust) did the trick.

This blog posting shows how the network connection detects if you have internet access or not. Basically it pings www.msftncsi.com and if that fails if figures you don't have internet access (either because your internet is down or you are behind one of those public internet browser log-in/agree to our terms you get at coffee shops, airports, and hotels.)

You can't test this in your browser - there may be caches and all sorts of things that make it seem like it works when it is in fact broken. I had to go to a lower/less complex level so I opened "Command Prompt" and typed

and it failed at the DNS lookup while

worked.

You can follow these instructions to change your DNS to Google's it'll be mostly the same if you pick another public DNS you trust just with different numbers to fill in (e.g. to use Cloudflare's just swap out the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 to use Cloudflare's for the ipv4 not sure what that translates to in ipv6).

Once you've switched over your DNS disable/enable your ethernet adapter from "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections" and you should be good to go if the root of your issue was the same as mine.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Continue reading...