Windows 10 No power at all, on hp envy 17 touch

• Thread starter Thread starter rualn2lng2
  • Start date Start date
R

rualn2lng2

I have an hp envy 17" touch, bought in 2017. I also have a much older beat up hp laptop, that I needed files from. I turned it on. It fired right up, but wouldn't respond to anything(touchpad, keys, etc.), no matter how long I waited, or several restarts. I needed the files, and have a Sabrent 2.0 usb to sata/ide hard drive adapter. I took the hard drive(wd scorpio blue, 320 gb) out, and(in my stupidity) using the adapter I attempted to open the drive to copy the files I needed. I used my best computer(the envy) to do this. I have used this adapter in the past, getting files from my old tower hard drive, and the plug in was easy to get those files in minutes. (maybe one of my mistakes was the size difference between an old tower hd, and the laptop drive?) The Sabrent adapter has several sizes of plug ends. The main/middle size connected between the 2 computers normally would let the drive be opened by host, without the addition of the power(or did in the past on the larger hd). Sabrent instructions stated that normally the drive will be seen without power, but often power had to be used to see the drive. I followed connect instructions to hook up power supply. Instantly my envy went BLACK. It will do nothing when I try to turn it back on.

My question? I'm considering trying to find out how to see if the power fried the motherboard?, the power supply? suggestions?

The envy is worlds faster than the old hp g-60(workhorse in '09)computer, that I have to use now. (The ONE I should have used to open the drive), and I would enjoy attempting to fix it, if the path to figure out the solution, if it was not the motherboard, or other vital component makes it too expensive, or more trouble than it worth?

Any suggestions on where to start? I have the tools, time, and the patience. I'm fairly Comfortable building a good tower pc (once). I know if it's the motherboard, then the envy is a spare parts computer. It will be taken apart as expanding my knowledge of hardware a little bit(as a hobby) no matter what answers I get here. I just would like to find out if it's fixable?, or whether my $1,000 is dust in the wind?

Thanks for any type of hope, help, honesty, and/or humor you may have in this the CRAZIEST holiday we'll EVER see in our lives, to give..

Continue reading...

Back