Windows 10 No sound from my motherboard or graphics card

• Thread starter Thread starter BrainBelch
  • Start date Start date
B

BrainBelch

So I've built my first complete pc. I had no trouble doing so, as I had plenty experience from replacing parts in other pc's. This one has me stumped though.

When I leave my graphics card out, my MoBo does not provide sound through any of the line-out holes, not on the front of my case and not directly on the MoBo. However, when I insert my graphics card, the volume mixer thingy becomes accessible. In the Playback section of Sound I have 3 the same devices: ''NVIDIA Output//NVIDIA High Definition Audio//Not plugged in''. Simply said, no sound.

After a lot of research I found out that a HDMI-cable would offer solace. Well, not. When I plug a HDMI-cable into the graphics card and into my monitor, I'm not even getting a visual, so now I'm using a DVI-cable for my monitor. The HDMI-cable is plugged into both as well, and it provides a new device in the Playback section: ''BenQ GL2580''. This is my monitor obviously, and it's set at the default device. I picked a video on youtube just for the sound, but to no avail. The volume mixer shows green bars, representing the sound you're normally supposed to hear, but I'm not hearing anything at all. I plugged a headphone and a stereo into my monitor, but there's still no sound.

At this point I downloaded all the necessary legitimate drivers, and even tried all previous versions of those drivers. After that I tried 3 seperate programs that scan your pc for uninstalled or wrongly installed drivers, but none of them can find any updates. I tried Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10, but there's no difference in any of them. I am 99,9% assured that this is not a hardware fault, as all the components are newly bought. It'd be a stupid setting in a stupid place I haven't found yet, rather than defective hardware.

I checked the BIOS, which has only 1 irrelevant audio option, I ransacked the Device Manager but there are no bugs to be found there as well and I scoured the NVIDIA control panel, but still nothing.

Already called the store where I got named hardware, and they are willing to do a diagnostic scan (see if there's something wrong with the hardware) for a 'reasonable' fee. I'm pretty sure they won't find anything, so after 4 days I'm turning to the internet for more knowledge. The standard troubleshooting is not useful at all. Give me everything you can come up with. Wiring, software - whatever.

Motherboard MSI H310M Gaming Plus

Graphics card ASUS Phoenix GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Processor Intel® Core i5-8500, 3,0 GHZ (4,1 GHz Turbo Boost)

Something fishy by the way, I can't figure out why I'm not able to install Realtek. I figured the Audio Manager they provide would be useful.

Continue reading...