Windows 10 Num Lock beep won't disable AND Number Pad not typing numbers

• Thread starter Thread starter 1LostUser
  • Start date Start date

1LostUser

I had a friend bring her laptop in. She has Windows 10

Previously the keyboard was disabled due to windows updates hanging.

I connected an external keyboard, connected to our wifi, and let windows updates finish and restart (update 1909). It ran overnight and an hours or so into the morning once I logged on. Every thing seemed to be fine so I gave her the laptop back.

After a few days she calls back saying that her numlock key is making beeping noises. Incidentally, the Num Lock key on this laptop has no light.

I looked at the laptop and searched online. It appears that there is a feature in her Windows 10 laptop, under Ease of Access / Keyboard called Toggle Keys.

I fiddled around with this but could not get the beep to go away. Also, the number pad would never type numbers BUT would allow it to work as arrow keys.

The Toggle Keys info in Win10 shows:

Use Toggle Keys

Play a sound whenever you press Caps Lock, Num Lock, or Scroll Lock.

[on / off]

It also has a check box below:

[ ] - Allow the shortcut key to start to start Toggle Keys

"Press and hold the Num Lock key for five seconds to turn on Toggle Keys"

I turned off the toggle and it toggles off/on the Caps Lock beep but not the Num Lock beep (I did not find a Scroll Lock).

I left the Shortcut Key enabled/checked and held down the Num Lock key for five seconds. This did bring up a window asking if I wanted to turn on Toggle Keys.

I played around with this but still the Number Pad would not type numbers and would either not do anything OR it would act as arrow keys.

Also, with Toggle Keys on or off, the Num Lock key would always make a beep. The beep has a higher note for being enabled and a lower note for being disabled. It does not matter if what Toggle Keys is set at nor if the Num Lock is on or off, the Number Pad doesn't work.

Looking for a solution for turning off the beeping noise AND getting the Number Pad to work.

Continue reading...