Windows 10 NVIDIA Driver installation freezing laptop/causing black screen

• Thread starter Thread starter C(a)Q
  • Start date Start date
C

C(a)Q

Hello,

I have had my Alienware M15 R2 with 2070 Max Q for over 6 months.

But last week, my laptop crashed to a sky blue BSOD while gaming. Since then, I have been unable to completely recover my Laptop.

I have tried many many times. The hardware diagnostics is clean and everything passes.

Clean installation of windows goes fine, but the moment I get to NVIDIA driver, whole laptop just freezes or goes to black screen. And on hard reset, it does not boot up. I have to boot into Recovery->Troubleshooting and do System Restore to get the Laptop up and running.

Also, when I try to uninstall the existing Microsoft Basic driver, laptop crashes and gives DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD.

I have tried all multiple ways of installing NVIDIA Driver - Dell provided drivers, from GeForce Experience and using Windows Update as well. All the times, my laptop freezes/goes black halfway through installation and I have to repeat the above hard reset, system restore to use the laptop.

I also opened dxdiag, and checked the Display tab. It says: "There is a problem with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter device. For more information, search for 'graphics device driver error code 31"

Any ideas ?

Continue reading...

Back