Windows 10 On start up I get a blank screen and mouse but windows does not start

• Thread starter Thread starter Brian1951
  • Start date Start date
B

Brian1951

I have a new Windows 10 computer which is running optimally. My old Win 10 computer not so good. I need to copy over important data from my old computer to the new one. I have some back-ups of photos, docs and music I can use. But I kept a folder of downloaded install files for important apps. This my backup system did not backup to my external backup drive.

The problem is that I cannot get my old computer to boot to windows. It just goes from the startup BIOS screen to instead of a logon screen I get a black screen with a working mouse cursor and nothing else happens. I followed a recommendation to do a disk scan with fix. Several of my windows startup files were corrupted and disk scanner disposed of them.

I cannot go into recovery, because those files in the recovery partition were corrupted as well. My logical deduction is that I need to replace the system start up files and restore the contents of the recovery partition.

Here's what I did. I downloaded theWindows Media Creation Tool 1903 and created a USB windows install media. When I went to use it on the old computer and opted for "Save personal files and applications" option because I don't want to format away all my critical data, I was informed that in order to do so I would have to start windows normally. I tried doing an override by using some command line switches and was then informed that Windows would not install due to compatibility issues.

The old computer is a Dell Inspiron and the original OEM Windows was Windows 7 and I had upgraded to Windows 10 when offered. Dell was no help because my old computer was out of warranty. I am truly perplexed as to what to do next. I don't want to pop the hood on both computers and take the drive with all my stuff from the old computer and hook it up to one of the drive connectors on the new computer and then try to use File Manager to copy the data I want to my new computer because it will void the warranty on my new computer.

Back when it was less costly to do so I used to custom configure my own computers and used that to do mass transfers of data from the old computer to the new one I had just configured. Now it seems that it's cheaper to buy a new computer and transfer data via various transfer apps. The prerequisite for using one of those apps it two working computers that will boot to thier resident flavor of windows. I am getting the sinking feeling that I am screwed.

That is why I am reaching out here. I train dogs for a living. While I am a bit more tech literate than the person who says " My computer's broke - fix it." I am not as expert as some of the folks who I hope are still reading this...

So I have told you what I have done thus far. Please with your more advanced experience and knowledge provide me with some new and better options.

I await your response.

Thank you,

Brian

Continue reading...