Windows 7 One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not...

• Thread starter Thread starter medailey
  • Start date Start date
M

medailey

Ok everyone,

This has got to be THE weirdest issue I've ever had in Windows. I just built a new music production system using Windows 7 Pro as my OS.

Here is my rig:

Mobo: Asus z97-A / USB 3.1

Two USB 3.1 ports back console (on mobo)

Four USB 3.0 ports back console (on mobo)

Two USB 3.0 ports front module (module plugs into mobo)

Six USB 2.0 ports (three modules that plug into mobo)

CPU: i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Socket LGA 1150)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 32Gb (4 X 8Gb) Crucial Ballistic Elite, DDR3 1333 MHz, 9-9-9-27 CAS latency

POWER: EVGA Supernova 850 G2 (850 watt)

SSD1: Samsung 850 PRO 256 Gb (Operating Sytem Drive)

SSD2: Samsung 850 PRO 512 Gb (Program Drive)

SSD3: Samsung 850 PRO 512 Gb (Sound Library 1 Drive @ 64K sectors)

SSD4: Samsung 850 PRO 512 Gb (Sound Library 2 Drive @ 64K sectors)

HDD: Seagate 7200 rpm 2 Tb (Data Storage)

ODD: Lite On DVD ROM

Case: Cooler Master Scout 2 Advanced

Sound: M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI card

Video: XFX GeForce 9800 GTX PCIe X 2.0

USB Devices:

M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 controller keyboard (USB 2.0)

Korg nanoKontrol (USB 2.0)

After getting everything installed, I plugged my devices into the USB 2.0 ports with the cables that work just fine with 2 of my other systems (both solely USB 2.0 systems). With the new system, after a few seconds, I would get this pop up error on the task bar that said "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." With the nanoKontrol device, I normally use a longer USB cable without any issues. I thought I would try a shorter cord. The 3' cord that the nanoKontrol came with made the device work fine. Same with the Axiom Pro. I googled the issue and read many things. I seem to have remembered someone stating to try and use a powered USB hub because it may be the the devices aren't getting enough power. Well, all I had was a tiny non-powered 4 port hub (no external power, only USB power). I thought, "What the heck, I might as well try using this because nothing else is making sense as to why I can't use a longer cable." Low and behold, not only did the USB-powered external 4 port USB hub work, but I could use as long of a cable I had. 6' cable to the hub, 10' cable to the device. It worked perfectly!! WWWHHHYYYYY? Why the flip does this work like this and not when I connect to the onboard ports directly? I know in some way I did some kind of driver trick by accident, but I do not understand why it works. It gives me a headache because I can't figure out why. Also to add, I had to use separate hubs only plugging in one device. If I used the external hub as it was intended and plugged multiple devices into one, only one device would work properly. It's like the special drivers that Windows 7 installed for the external USB 2.0 hub solved the problem. I just wonder why Windows 7 can't use the same drivers on it's own internal USB 2.0 hubs. I figure that would make the difference.

I researched some more and found that the drivers for the USB 3.1 and 3.0 ports may be messing things up. I also seem to have encountered in my long reading that the USB 2.0 ports are virtual and that's how they say it's backwards compatible? All I know is that my head hurts and I don't understand why using the longer cables won't work plugged directly into any of the ports.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this works this way and not by just plugging in directly with the longer cables?

medailey

Continue reading...

Back