Windows 10 Onedrive keeps re-syncing same files. Best way to reset?

• Thread starter Thread starter Danja9191
  • Start date Start date
D

Danja9191

I recently upgraded by CPU and motherboard and wanted to reconfigure the same directory structure as I had on my previous PC. My configuration is as follows:

- Windows installed on C:\

- Onedrive installed on E:\OneDrive.

- Documents location changed to E:\OneDrive\Documents

- All other "library folder" locations similarly changed to E:\OneDrive\*

On my previous PC build this worked perfectly. When I upgraded my CPU and board I performed a clean install of Windows but I figured that since all the latest versions of my documents were already on the E:\OneDrive secondary disk, which I did not reformat, I would just plug in that drive after the clean installation, set the OneDrive directories to point to the original location, and OneDrive would recognize that the files were already synced and only update files that had changed in the brief time that I was building the PC.

Instead, OneDrive has been syncing 100% continuously since I built the PC about 2 months ago, which I assume means it's been re-syncing the same files because I only have about 200 GB of data stored on OneDrive. It keeps saying "Syncing x of y GB" in the status tooltip, where y is a chunk of about 50 - 60 GB at a time. As soon as it finishes syncing that chunk, it immediately resets to "Syncing 0 of z GB" where z is another large chunk. At this point it must have downloaded about 600 GB of redundant data. In the meantime, upload seems to be broken because I can access files from my laptop on this PC, but files modified on the PC do not get uploaded to the cloud and are not visible on my laptop.

I'm planning to switch my E:\ drive from mechanical to SSD anyway, and I'm wondering what the best strategy would be. Should I clone my current E:\ drive to the SSD first, swap out the drives, and hope that this time OneDrive correctly recognizes that the files are already synced? Should I instead provide a completely clean E:\OneDrive folder on the SSD and let it redownload all 200 GB again from the cloud, and then overwrite the needed files with the updated versions of those files that don't seem to be getting uploaded? Or, even better, is there a way to fix my current OneDrive setup and make it behave correctly before performing the drive upgrade? I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Continue reading...

Back