Windows 10 OneDrive persists at full syncing of camera roll despite selecting "free up space"

• Thread starter Thread starter Mobispoke
  • Start date Start date
M

Mobispoke

Hello! I have a number of Windows 10 devices. Most were purchased/set up when OneDrive was less integral to creating to file structure. Now it is such that it uses my OneDrive Documents and Pictures folders as the default library locations. I mostly like this. The problem comes with the Pictures folder. Runtime Broker out of nowhere starts syncing everything in that folder, Camera Roll along with other folders. I have tens of thousands of photos. I have no desire or SSD capacity to sync to a laptop with 128GB. So I have gone into File Explorer and selected "Free Up Space" and it undoes the synchronization of these folders. Today I was letting it do it's thing and eventually it gave me a warning that I had no more space on my hard drive. In a matter of a couple days it had synced 60 gigs of the 120+ gigs of photos I have! Arg! "Free up space" helped again, but why is it ignoring my preference in the first place? The Photos App seems to be the instigator of the synchronization call but how can I stop it? I de-selected other folders in the Pictures from syncing at all (they no longer appear as an option) but I cannot deselect Camera Roll (with its 60GB of photos extending from my first Lumia 521 to my present Android device) because the OS has established it as where photos are saved from the Camera app. This is really frustrating and defeats the capability to have files on-demand without storing them locally.

Continue reading...

Back