Windows 10 OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my desktop is gone.

• Thread starter Thread starter Brett_9999
  • Start date Start date
B

Brett_9999

TL:DR

Exactly what the title says. A OneDrive "Where are my files" Icon appeared after Windows update and now everything on my desktop is gone.

DR

I have utilized OneDrive for a bit as an extra backup source. I noticed my storage was getting full, so I decided to free up some space by stopping the sync of my Desktop. After changing the section and deleting the already backed up content from my OneDrive, I performed a system update and restarted the PC. Upon restart and logging in, the only two icons left were my Recycle Bin and a single OneDrive Icon labeled as "Where are my files". Screenshot below.

Clicking the icon just opened a folder with the same icon and nothing else. I started up my OneDrive and it started syncing files again. I checked my backup management and it reengaged the desktop backup after I explicitly stopped it. Screenshot below.

Once the backup started again, my desktop folders returned, but every folder and sub-folder were completely empty. So, yes my folders are back, but the content is no longer within the folders. So, yeah. I can refill the empty folders with the proper content, but that'll take some time as there was a lot. So, two questions.

Questions:

1. Can my folders be properly restored with their contents intact?
  2. The hell, dude? What is the point of a backup software if it eliminates the content from your machine when you stop backing it up?

If I stop backing up my Docs and Photos, are they just going to disappear too? Because that would be pretty goddamn lame.

Continue reading...

Back