Windows 10 PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up.

• Thread starter Thread starter bigmac1x
  • Start date Start date
B

bigmac1x

I did something very stupid and had to check every component on my PC to find out what was defective. Turns out the MB battery was dead as a doornail! Replaced it.

I had been trying "fix startup problems", "restore", "recover", etc. from a rescue disk. Nothing would work. In fact, from the rescue disk, I'd try the same thing twice (or more) and the steps would change. Bottom line - couldn't do anything. (PS "Fix startup problems" has never been able to correct anything over the years).

So, I reinstalled Windows 10 on a new HDD. Great, now I could boot up. My original boot drive was an SSD. I check it out the SSD drive and c: has changed to g: and d: has changed to h: (Wish I'd known that before i reinstalled Windows 10 to a different disk). Probably because of the reinstallation of windows on an HDD. (I understand you can't have 2 of the same drive letter on one PC). I want to get back to booting from my SSD. In Disk Management If I try to change the g: on my SSD back to c: it says I can't do that. (But I was able to change h: back to d:).

I thought maybe I could change the c: (on the new HDD) drive to something else and then change the g: on my SSD back to c: and reboot. That seems to easy so I thought i'd better ask the experts first if that's ok or whether there's another way. There's a lot of info on the original SSD boot drive I don't want to lose.

Just had a thought - can the info on my SSD be imported into the new c: boot drive on the HDD? (I could then clone everything back to the SSD).

OR - can the c: boot drive on my HDD be merged with the g: (originally c:) on my SSD (and specify the SSD will be the boot drive so it changes g: back to c:)?

PS I have Partition Master Pro if that's of any help. I don't want to do something stupid that puts me out of commission for another week!

Thanks very much for your help.

Continue reading...

Back