Windows 10 Performance issues and unable to launch Chrome after failed system restore

• Thread starter Thread starter IHutchinson2
  • Start date Start date
I

IHutchinson2

A few weeks ago, I noticed a significant drop in performance a few days after a Windows update. I first noticed that Terraria, the game I've been playing recently, went from running at 60FPS constantly to around 30, and other actions on the computer generally felt sluggish. For hardware context, I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15-5577 with an Intel i7-7700 processor, NVIDIA GTX 1050 graphics card, 512GB SSD (60GB free), and 16GB RAM. I followed various online checklists for solving this until I finally one recommendation and performed a system restore, which solved the issue.

Several days ago, I noticed a very similar drop in performance, once again occurring not very long after a windows update, so I performed another system restore, expecting the same results. This time, I booted up to a BSOD error, and every subsequent reboot resulted in the exact same error (0xc000021a). After researching the options available from the troubleshooting startup menu, I decided to undo the latest update. After this was complete I was able to boot up successfully, and the first thing I noticed after logging in was a pop-up saying that the system restore had failed, and it mentioned a particular file from Avast. This hadn't happened the first time, so I don't know if it's due to Avast trying to protect the system from viruses or something else (a recent Malwarebytes scan came up clean, so I don't think there was any virus involved). After using the computer for a little bit, I noticed that the performance issues were still there, but now Chrome would not launch. I tried to undo the system to see if that would fix he newer issues, but apparently that also failed, and nothing seemed to change.

At this point, I have decided to hold off on further troubleshooting measures until I can figure out what's going on, and my computer is still running slow. Google Chrome will not launch, and while I can still use Microsoft Edge, it doesn't have any of my passwords or bookmarks saved. I am also noticing audio issues, where something like a YouTube video, sounds from a game, or music from the Amazon desktop player will distort when I am performing other actions on the computer. Furthermore, I have noticed that it I pause a YouTube video and resume it, it will sometimes play at a ridiculously sluggish speed, where it will only go through a couple of frames of the video in a second, and the audio sounds like the distorted result of playing the sound from each frame repeatedly.

If anyone has an idea of what is happening and how I might be able to fix it, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Continue reading...

Back