Windows 10 Pool Storage Issue Files gone!

• Thread starter Thread starter Scott_Shuttleman
  • Start date Start date
S

Scott_Shuttleman

I will try to make this short but informative as possible.

I have a Mirrored Pooled Storage that I call Drive E. It is two 3TB drives configured to mirror each other using the Windows 10 Storage tool. Recently I have been having space issues and need to rearrange my storage capabilities. I just bought 2 12TB drives. The plan was to pool the new drives into a NEW pool which I was going to assign to the V: drive. The current pool is assigned as E:. Once the new pool was up I was going to move the files off of Drive E onto the 12 TB drives. Then I was going to move the "old" drives to another computer.

Everything went well installing the 2 12TB drives. I had couple of issues since Windows wanted to make one of the new drives a location for Pagefile but once I reassigned that function back to my c: drive I was able to setup the new pool. So both pools E and V were showing up on my storage pool screen. But at that point I noticed the E drive appeared to be EMPTY! As my stomach began to twist I went to file explorer and it too showed I had zero items on the drive. I somehow prayed it was a error and rebooted the machine. Same issue. All 2.7ish TBs of data is gone. The whole point of me doing this was to have a mirrored back up. Now all my files are gone. I have no clue what happened. Before you asked this is what I know...

1. I did not ever delete the pool that made up Drive E

2. I did not ever knowingly reformat either hard drives that made up Drive D

3. I did not every try to add more drives to Drive E

I went straight to the internet and did not find any similar issues. I did find reference to pooled storage and drive issues but they didn't fit. Both of my drives are in good condition. There have been no errors. I'm assuming some how the drive was reformatted or the pool was recreated but don't know how that was possible. The cause right now is not important as it is a possible solution for data recovery. I found a couple of sources for data recovery and even bough one piece of software (R-Studio) and I"m looking at another. I did do a simple scan using R-Studio and the simple scan using the software did find some files but there are 1000's of files (mainly photo type files of all varieties). So I then did a deep scan on just one of the two drives. It did "find a LOT of stuff" but the confidence level "recovery" was rated pretty low. At that point I backed up a little and did some reading and it was suggested I create images of both drives and put them on another drive. Before I move on further with more scans that take 10+ hours I figured I better take a breath and ask for some advice.

This is why I'm hear now. Is this the right path? Is there any hope? Let's assume this software "doesn't work" is there any other recourse? Is there some "better" to do than what I'm doing.

Please if there anyone out there with some very help tips I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks.

Scott

Continue reading...

Back