Windows 10 Predictable hard freezing, bad image errors and generally badly behaved Windows on new update... Driver related?

• Thread starter Thread starter cstone634
  • Start date Start date
C

cstone634

So I'll start off by listing my specs and then describe the current state of affairs.

Intel Core i5 4690K

MSI Z97A Gaming 7 motherboard

MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8G

Kingston HyperX Savage 2x8GB 1866MHz DDR3

Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB system drive, Seagate 2TB 7200RPM hard drive

Up-to-date non-insider windows build, BIOS and all system drivers up to date

This problem originated the other day when I started getting random freezes upon starting the machine after a windows update. Disabling AppXSvc fixed this particular issue but another fix I tried before this was updating my Radeon graphics drivers from 19.7.5 to the new WHQL build, 19.9.2. The update utility got to the "checking for new drivers" stage then after a few seconds the machine completely froze requiring a reboot. Bad sign, I thought, but I did my best to research this issue and find what could be causing it. I defaulted to clearing the old drivers with DDU and then installing from scratch, and when this didn't work I realised I was stuck without graphics drivers. I did a system restore to bring them back. A pretty heavy-handed solution but the only one available to me. I tried installing them whilst using the onboard graphics; same issue.

When performing the restore this time, something must have gone horribly wrong, as the system would boot but not get past the (now blue) lock screen and the recovery partition wouldn't load either. I created a recovery drive and reinstalled windows from there, which only worked the second time after Windows finally decided to do a disk check. It installed to my hard disk instead of the old system drive without asking, so I cloned it across and then ran SFC and DISM to clear up any errors that might have arisen there. This time I manage to get the graphics drivers installed, by manually pointing to the package in device manager. Then, running the software installer with a /NCRC command I managed to get the software installed separately. I disabled AppXSvc as the old freezes during or shortly after logon had reappeared. All was finally well I thought, until Steam wouldn't launch, citing a bad image error in the detoured.dll.

As a last-ditch effort, I tried to install the 19.10.2 beta driver, but the system crashed during the installation and I needed to run startup repair and system restore to get it running again. System restore cited an error, which I didn't bother to note as I thought I would need to try again, but it was something about a file in system32/drivers that failed to restore. Then the system boots, Steam springs into life and the drivers are intact. A one-off BSOD playing Dota 2 was rectified by updating network drivers, but the system still crashes trying to update graphics drivers, and funnily enough, Logitech G Hub.

Right now the system functions as I need it to, but I'm worrying every moment about it freezing trying to do something, and if it's caused by something more sinister I obviously want to get to the root of the issue. I considered checking my memory; both Windows Memory Diagnostics and memtest (not 86; the one that runs in Windows) didn't pick up any issues. The only thing I could think of would be to change slots, but surely a DIMM slot is either working or it's not?

If this is a known issue with the current Windows update I'm happy to wait for a new one. Any advice either way would be appreciated as I'm reaching the end of fixes that I can find.

Regards, Chris

Edit: I should note that when crashing during driver installation, if left for about 10 seconds the machine would sometimes display a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSOD, and would not progress beyond 0% in crash data collection. When I say hard freezing btw, I mean that the machine is totally unresponsive. The output remains but is frozen; the mouse cursor cannot move etc.

Continue reading...

Back