Windows 10 Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO

• Thread starter Thread starter csgkurt
  • Start date Start date
C

csgkurt

Hello everyone!

I have an issue with a printer that is pushed out via GPO that is using a particular driver. Windows Update (it seems) is changing the printer driver on the user PCs to use a different one that my users cannot use. I need to find a way to disable this behavior.

Details:

All PCs are running Windows 10, all HP PCs. Printer is an HP PageWide XL 5100. The driver we need to use is the HP PageWide XL 5100PS MFP V4 driver. The printer was pushed to the client PCs a few weeks ago and has been working fine. Our users print from Adobe Acrobat Standard and often have to change paper source, size, etc. right in the print options of Acrobat. With this driver they are able to do so without issue.

For the past couple of days, I've found that the printer driver has changed locally on their PCs to the HP PageWide XL 5100PS MFP PDF V4 driver. The driver on the print server has not been modified and still shows the usual HP PageWide XL 5100PS MFP V4 driver. Now the users no longer have the ability to modify the print settings in PDFs as these options are grayed out.

I've tried to resolve this by successfully removing the printer and this PDF driver from the user's PC. After I re-added the printer, it seemed to have gone back to normal, but again, the next day, it was changed back to this PDF driver. When looking at their Windows Update history under drivers, it looks like it updated an HP printer driver. It can only be this one.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Is there a way to prevent these drivers from being changed locally for a network printer queue? Something in the security settings somewhere on the print server or somewhere else?

2. Is there a way to prevent printer drivers from being installed via Windows Update (preferably a setting I can push out through GPO)? Note: I did try going into the System Properties -> Hardware Tab -> Device Installation Settings button -> and selecting "No"

3. Anything else I can try that I'm not thinking of?

Thank you all in advance!!

Kurt

Continue reading...