Windows 10 Problem with Bluetooth Speakers volume following February 2021 update

• Thread starter Thread starter BrianBrazill
  • Start date Start date
B

BrianBrazill

I just allowed the Windows Update (preview version) which became available to me last night (24 February 2021). As a result, none of my Bluetooth audio devices can have their volume controlled through Windows any longer. The volume must be adjusted on the devices themselves. Poking around the internet, I see that this was a rampant problem for nearly every Bluetooth speaker/headphones following an April 2018 update. Symptoms are identical: Windows volume control still chimes with each setting, but only 0% or 100% volume are possible. The only difference this time, is that the prescriptions that seemed to work for folks in April 2018, now produce no result after last night's update. Those two no-longer effective solutions are:

• Changing the registry key "DisableAbsoluteVolume" to 1 at HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Bluetooth\Audio\AVRCP\CT ; and
  • Unchecking "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" in the device's advanced properties.

To be clear, prior to last night's update, ALL my Bluetooth audio devices were volume-controllable through Windows. After the update, NONE of them can be volume-controlled through Windows.

Any ideas?

Continue reading...

Back