Windows 10 Problem with start up for one application

• Thread starter Thread starter Adlsr
  • Start date Start date
A

Adlsr

Hi everyone, so i had an issue with an application (logitech ghub) a few days ago. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the software to see if it would fix the problem (it hasn't, but it's not important). What happen is that the uninstallation/reinstallation process created another issue :

logitech ghub won't launch at start up despites that everyhting is ok :

• "always start after logging in" is checked in the software
  • In the start up tab of the task manager, i can see the entry, and it is activated

I tried contacting the support but they told me they havn't been able to replicate this issue, they told me to do some basic actions, but so far, they can't fix the issue.

I tried to do a clean installation of the software but still doesn't launch at startup.

So i'm beginning to think maybe it's a windows issue.

I searched in the registry, and i found the string value that is responsible for the software to start at pc launch, here is the native location :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In a last attempt, i deleted it, went to the sofware, unchecked/checked the box, string value has been recreated, rebooted => still not launching

I looked on this forum and i found a post about the same issue (but not with the same application), the guy fixed the issue by creating the string value in another registry path, here is what i did :

• opened regedit

• navigated to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

• Created a string value for "LGHUB" with the path being :"C:\Program Files\LGHUB\lghub.exe" --background

• rebooted

• Ghub is now launching at startup !

But now, i have 2 entries for the same software in the startup tab of the task manager.

I thought, maybe it was just what it needed to work fine, so i deleted the string i created, rebooted, issue came back.

So considering that we have now 2 registry path where we can put the string value :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER => the native one

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE => where i create the string value myself

i tried another trick :

• Leave "always start after logging in" checked in the software
  • Deleted the string value created by the software in HKEY_CURRENT_USER when checking the box
  • Created the string value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  • rebooted

It is working, BUT everytime the software launch, it is re-creating the string in HKEY_CURRENT_USER because it detect that the box is checked !

I always end up with 2 entries for the same software in the startup tab of the task manager.

So my question is :

What could be "blocking" the launch of the software using it's native string value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER that isn't blocking it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ?

If anyone can help !

Thank you !

Continue reading...