Windows 8 Questions regarding reinstallation of Windows 8 on a PC with a brand new hard drive

• Thread starter Thread starter BobEmm
  • Start date Start date
B

BobEmm

I am trying to reinstall Windows 8 on a friend's Samsung DP500A2D-A02UB, specs ; I have read Microsoft's instruction about reinstalling Windows 8 here and about the Microsoft page Windows USB/DVD Download Tool hereAccording to Samsung, the Windows Product Key is on the PC's motherboard. (My friend has no old disks and the key is not physically on the PC.) My friend's hard drive died. I put a new hard drive in his PC, but his PC is still not operational.

So I am using my own Windows 10 PC to download the Windows 8 iso. But I am concerned that I will not be able to use the Windows 8 iso I download because the FAQ section Microsoft page WindowsUSB/DVD Download Tool says: " Can I use my newly created USB drive to install Windows on someone else's computer? No. The Windows ISO file on the USB drive is only intended to be used to install Windows on the licensed user’s own computer.

I am also concerned that somehow I will use up my own privileges to download Windows 10 if I need to in the future, because there are apparently restrictions on the number of times you can download and make copies of Windows see text under my initial below again from the Microsoft page WindowsUSB/DVD Download Tool

QUESTIONS: Can I use my own Windows 10 PC to download a Windows 8 iso for my friend's PC?

Should I make a copy of that Windows 8 iso for later use by my friend if he needs it?

I already started to download the Windows 8 iso on my own Windows 10 PC, but after I read the Microsoft material cited above, I aborted the download long before it was finished. Will I have trouble downloading Windows 10 for my own PC in the future?

Thank you,

B.

Text from Microsoft pageWindowsUSB/DVD Download Tool is below

• To install the software, you can make one copy of the ISO file on a disc, USB flash drive, or other media.

• After you’ve installed the software and accepted the license terms that accompany the software, those license terms apply to your use of the software. The license terms for Windows permit you to make one copy of the software as a back-up copy for re-installation on the licensed computer. If you do not delete your copy of the ISO file after installing the Windows software, the copy of the ISO file counts as your one back-up copy.

If you need to download the software again, you can go to your Download Purchase History in your Microsoft Store account and access the download there.

Continue reading...

Back