Windows 10 Raid 1 drive not working in Win 10 x64 after PC upgrade

• Thread starter Thread starter Missionman99
  • Start date Start date
M

Missionman99

Raid 1 drive not working in Win 10 x64 after PC upgrade

Hi all,

I upgraded my CPU, Motherboard, memory, and SSD. Cloned the SSD so I didn't have to reinstall Win10x64 OS. Most things went smoothly, but it was surprising that my 2 HDDs in simple RAID1 configuration didn't not transfer over well. Of course the RAID1 configuration was working fine in Win 10x64 prior to my upgrade.

I went into my BIOS and configured for Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration - which enables RAID for the SATA controller. And was able to select the 2 HDDs I have for that configuration with existing data. When I booted up and ran Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management, it seems to show the array properly without any issues. However Win10 sees the drive as one that needs to be initialized and formatted. When I started Disk Management, it said that Disk 1 (my RAID1 drive) needs to be initialized. I did so without formatting it (don't want to lose data). What I got out of it is now I have a drive letter F: for my RAID1 drive. It now shows F: as RAW Healthy (Primary Partition). When I try to access that drive using File Explorer, it tells me "You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it."

Then using Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management, I proceeded the long initialize process for the RAID1 drive. Afterwards, the File Explorer still shows I need to format drive. Now it shows a drive that's initialized, but system volume is a No.

Is there a way I can create a system volume without formatting?

I've tried using software like AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro, where I would choose partition recovery wizard, it showed that my main partition has all the file structures I expected, but when I try to proceed, it stops because "The selected partition overlaps with existing partitions.", but I don't have any existing partitions since all space are still unallocated.

I believe I can use Data Recovery software and get my data back, but it would be much easier if I can just somehow recreate the folder structure that's there.

Continue reading...

Back