Windows 10 Random Crash Problem

• Thread starter Thread starter Gutama
  • Start date Start date
G

Gutama

this is very long post, because so many thing that i already tried to solve this by using information that i got by googling. i will tell u from the beginning (i wrote what i already did on note for documentation). i try to make it very short here.

This issue happened after i got my laptop from service center (22 february 2018). i sent it to solve my cpu overheat issue and some broken keyboard keys issue that already solved now. I was told that my memory also got replaced because the found the error on it.

random crash issue came when i used my laptop in my home. my laptop suddenly/randomly restarted when i leave it (its on idle condition). the issue is reproducible. after some minutes, my laptop crash and restart again.

so i tried to download and install updates that appear on windows update, update some driver with help from Driver Easy app. but still the crash randomly happen. here you are the crash that i got, so very diverse
IRQL NOT LESS EQUAL - PAGE FAULT In NONPAGED AREA - MEMORY MANAGEMENT

after several crash, i tried to

1. memtest86 (only 1 attempt) > result = no error

2. windows memory diagnostic > result = no error

3. sfc scannow > result > stopped in the middle of process. i tried 2 times, all fail

4. try restore using system restore > fail

5. in my attempt to solve this, suddenly crash happen - CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

6. try to rollback drivers to old version using reinstall/repair in the installer/setup that gived from manufacturer when i bought this laptop

7. check HDD using HDD Sentinel > result 100% performance, 100% health
8. check error HDD using HD Tune Pro > result = no error

9. try to reinstall my windows 10 pro. (I got some problems when trying to reinstall OS, need about 3 days to trial and error around the installation (too long if i post it here and because MAYBE its not related to this problem. In the end (26 february 2018), i successed install it by using installer from USB Bootable. before reinstall windows, i format partition C (when my old windows installed but kept partition D and F)
10. So here we are, fresh OS

But its not finish there, prepare for part after reinstall w10

===============================================================================================================================================================

after got fresh OS, i did:
1.install some update and some driver from windows update (actually i dont wanna install the driver, but yeah, too late for me to realized what kind of file that i download and install)
2.install driver from partition F (manufacture driver)
3.install some apps like mozilla etc

i felt safe this time until, random crash happen again. after 3 crash that actually same code like before: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION -IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL - PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

so i do:
1. run windows memory diagnostic > no error

2. cmd > sfc scannow > cant complete
3. cmd > chkdsk r f > complete > i look the result from event viewer > no error
4. googling and found out if malwarebytes can cause crash . So I uninstalled malwarebytes taht i installed. and i was amazed how he knew the spesific culprit. so i found Driver Verifier. lets try it after looking the tutorial.
I hope my problem culprit is malwarebyte like i found on googling but this happen when tried Driver Verifier

5. Crash!!! (happened before i can go to desktop screen (DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION) - LGbusenum.sys (its from Logitech Gaming Software that i installed. the crash was looping 3 time if i'm not wrong until i put i put my USB booatble windows installer to reach windows repair. i chose system restore but failed. to make sure its not happen i open cmd > verifier /reset

6. I go to repair windows ( i dont know its success or not, i leave my laptop). in the end, my laptop rreach the desktop screen

7. I Uninstalled Logitech Gaming Software
8. Check again by using Driver Verifier, Crash again!!! (DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION) - winio64.sys (its from MSI dragon Center that i installed
9. after success login into desktop screen, i try sfc scannow 3 times. at this time, 3 test = all completed but with result: Windows Resource Pretection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are include in the CBS.Logwindir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

10. try DISM
DISM (Check Health)
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth > result = no component store corruption

DISM (Scan Health)
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth > result= stop at 16,1% > Error: 87 (DISM log file : C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

DISM (Restore Health)
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth > result= stop at 88%

11. i try to reboot and get Window preparing to configure windows

===============================================================================================================================================================

After that i wanna tried from beginning again (27 february 2018 )so I do:
1. Uninstall & delete all drivers that listed on my manufacturer driver setup except WIFI driver + disable service windows update (i dont want it will install driver again like before)
2. uninstall some apps
3. redownload some apps setup
4. try to install driver 1 by 1 and also apps ( around 15 minutes - 30 minutes between instalation, after finish installation, i always reboot the laptop.with this way hopefully when crash happen, i can found out the culprit easily). To waiting random crash, sometime i using the laptop for browsing/googling, if not i just leave it idle.
5. look good until i install nvidia driver. doing uninstall DDU to make sure uninstall driver is clean before clean install driver. the installation was failed (before this i never fail install nvidia driver). Googling for the solution > disable AV. So i disable my defender and it can instal the driver
6. try test the function of nvidia driver = work well. i play dota 2 about 1 hour. its good, no crash.
7. i using regedit to disable DVR because wanna test it by play CSGO game Steam Community :: Guide :: How to disable Xbox DVR (Windows 10))

8. after doing edit registry, i reboot
9. leave it on idle condition (only open steam app). suddenly after some minutes it already restart after i came back.
10. check the bluescreenviewer: CRASH!!! PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (ntoskrnl.exe)
and then check whocrashed: 4 files are analyzed

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Tue 27/02/2018 19:31:35 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022718-29953-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1637D0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFA28C3F05DAF0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8012CAE5AC2, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 27/02/2018 19:31:35 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x3AE4C)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFA28C3F05DAF0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8012CAE5AC2, 0x2)
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupt:
C:\Windows\Minidump\022618-33812-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\022618-39187-01.dmp

11. try to rollback the disabledDVR thing and doing reboot. after that, copying dumpfile to backup. i am waiting for the crash in front of my laptop for 2 hours!!. when waiting, i googling, writing this post on notepad until this sentence using bythe laptop. and i decided to turn off the laptop after nothing crash.

Next day (28 febrary 2018), i try to check again. i do:

1. turn on my laptop, leave it idle ( 5 minutes ) > no happenened
2. open firefox > leave it idle (30 minutes > no happened
3. open steam app > leave it idle ( 5 minutes ) > nothing happened
4. i use firefox to browsing, update my game on steam, auto update steam (restart the steam app). doing some browsing thing (15 minutes ), minimize frefox and steam, i leave it idle
5. crash happen after idle around 1 hour
6. crash info

On Wed 28/02/2018 07:08:24 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022818-30140-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1637D0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFB801A4015740, 0x0, 0xFFFFF801A3D13589, 0x2)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System

On Wed 28/02/2018 07:08:24 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x3AE4C)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFB801A4015740, 0x0, 0xFFFFF801A3D13589, 0x2)

7. this time when i want to backup the minidump, give me error when try to unhidden folder windows > error applying atributtes to file windows/bfsvc.sys
and now, i didnt find to choose setting for unhidden folder on my disk. nevermind, i got the setting to show hidden folder through control panel

i'm so tired to try solve it

my questiosn:
whether this crash problem is caused by software only or hardware only or both? I suspect my RAM because the only hardware thing that replaced before i got this issue is RAM beside the keyboard. But windows memory diagnostic result is no error. memtest86 result is no error ( though only 1 time test). How to make sure my RAM that replaced is the culprit?
if it caused my software, why so much driver alternately caused this crash even I only look 3 crash events (1st driver verifier test whow logitech driver, 2nd test showed MSi dragon center, the last one crash happened after my last activity is installed nvidia driver. why long time ago i didt got this issue when i installed all that driver.
it make no sense for me.

i also got Interisting info after read discussion by windows 10 community in my local forum. He complained his laptop got random bsod when doing draw or render using CAD with code Driver State Power Failure. and this person refered this as the culprit (windows 1709) https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-poopsofts-1709-update-/post/5285142/#5285142
other person in the forum also complained about random restart when he play game or render video. he never had this issue on previous windows version that he used before. He also claimed the temporary solution for himself is setting nvidia control panel to using Nvidia GPU not intel with max performance setting on "heavy" apps
i know, its not clear about the code that cause the crash that talked in that Nvidia thread. IF that issue (conflict between windows 1709 and nvidia driver) is happen to me, how to make sure my crash problem is caused its nvidia driver? because when this crash problem starting to come, i dont know my windows version build before and after the problem, so i dont know if i'm using different version or not when i never have this problem before.

edit; added my laptop specs
i7 7700HQ 2,8 GHz - GTX1050 2GB GDDR5 - Memory DDR4 8GB 2400Mhz - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Continue reading...