Windows 10 Random DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD

• Thread starter Thread starter DanJLFF14
  • Start date Start date
D

DanJLFF14

Bought my computer from CyberPower PC in early December 2020 and the computer ran great with zero issues until mid January. Been getting a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD for 3 months now and all my troubleshooting hasn't solved it. It's been the same Bug Check Code when I use BlueScreenView to read the minidump file, and the code is 0x00000133. It seemed to only occur when running games, Discord, or an internet browser while on YouTube or Twitch (or a combination of these). This BSOD is extremely random, it can happen multiple days in a row or it won't happen for extended periods of time (i.e: last BSOD was 4/9/2021, the last few times before that were 3/22/2021, 3/20/2021, and 3/19/2021. This BSOD seemed to start happening after updating Windows to version 20H2 and updating my video card (RTX 3080). I didn't install any other programs around this time when the BSOD first started. The troubleshooting steps I've taken are below.

- Updated video card driver (as stated above, this seemed to be a common way to fix this BSOD)

- Updated Windows completely (got the message from Windows Update that my computer was fully updated)

- Updated all other drivers that were out of date (I used Driver Easy to check which drivers were out of date and to make sure the correct drivers were installed)

- Did a memory diagnostics for my memory and everything cam back as OK.

- Installed Core Temp about a month or two ago to make sure my CPU wasn't overheating (no issues at all). Doesn't look like my computer is overclocked either since the CPU temps when I play games generally stay between 40 C - 50C and are even lower when at idle.

- Nvidia support had me run their cleanup tool because they believed there were conflicting files causing the crash (in Device Manager, computer was saying it was on an earlier version of a driver even when I installed the most current driver. I uninstalled all Nvidia programs and drivers from my computer, then reinstalled the current driver and the computer recognized the proper driver then.

- Nvidia support also suggested I download and use TechPowerUp GPU-Z to check my GPU temp just in case (haven't noticed any issues, GPU temp is running at most in the low to mid 50 degree Celsius).

- Windows Support Agent had me run in command prompt sfc /scannow, DISM /Online /Clean-up Image /Checkhealth, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. These scans determined there were corrupt files on my computer and they were successfully repaired. I've run these scans multiple times sense talking to the Windows Support Agent and I've never had any other corrupt files after that.

- Windows Support also had me try to start in a clean boot state to turn off background apps that potentially were causing issues and I couldn't find anything causing the BSOD after attempting this.

- I adjusted my settings in games I play (mainly Final Fantasy 14 and Classic WoW) to see if there were any settings that might have been causing issues (i.e: changed games to run in Fullscreen (windowed mode) , and lowered graphics settings)

- Contacted CyberpowerPC customer support and put in a RMA request to replace the video card because I felt it was the card having a hardware issue after doing so much troubleshooting. I put the replacement card into my computer on 3/31/2021. I didn't experience any BSOD until yesterday (4/9/2021) with the new card. However, I did experience 2 times where my computer completely froze while playing Final fantasy 14 (nothing else seemed to be causing any crashes, issues, or freezing and everything else seemed to be running OK).

- The final thing I've done is updated my BIOS with the current update (I did this last night, 4/9/2021, after experiencing the most recent BSOD and I'm waiting to see if the BSOD happens again or not).

I don't know what else I can do at this point. CyberPower PC customer support suggested I can do a clean install of windows or do the factory image reset to see if it fixes the crashing. I could also send in my computer to them to be checked and repaired but I'd prefer to not be without my computer for at least a month, especially since I work from home and potentially fixing this issue without sending it away.

I've uploaded the mini dump file from the BSOD that occurred on 4/9/2021.

Continue reading...

Back