Windows 10 Random Wi-fi dropouts on Windows 10 PC

• Thread starter Thread starter Adam_C_C
  • Start date Start date
A

Adam_C_C

Hello

I have been experiencing continual wireless network drop-outs on a Windows 10 PC. I've read quite a few threads on similar issues but they all seem to be slightly different in the details and none of the solutions offered there or on the Microsoft help pages have yet worked for me.

The details are as follows:

• The computer connects to the wifi network via a TP-Link Archer T2UH USB wifi adapter.
  • The computer is running Windows 10 and all updates are installed
  • Signal strength is good in the location of the antenna
  • The wifi adapter fairly regularly (approximately every 1 day) just stops working.
  • When this happens, no wifi network are visible in the list of available connections in the Windows taskbar.
  • No error is displayed, and when navigating to the adapter in the device manager, it is listed as working properly. The green light on the adapter itself remains on.
  • After unplugging the adapter from the computer’s USB port and re-plugging, it immediately finds the connection again.
  • I have tried the following already:
    • Ensured that the computer does not go to sleep
    • Navigated through the device manager to the adapter settings to ensure that the option for “allow Windows to turn off this device to save power” is disabled
    • Set the Windows wifi auto configuration service (WLAN AutoConfig) to automatic and ensured it is always running, and will automatically restart if the computer reboots. I've also ensured the dependencies of this service are also on auto start.
    • Installed driver from the CD that came with the adapter
    • Later tried updating the adapter driver to the latest version, downloaded from the manufacturer's website (Published Date: 2017-12-14).

After all this, it still regularly drops off the wifi network and requires manual intervention to reconnect. Manual intervention is not a workable solution for us because the computer is an unattended remote access terminal and to function as intended it must be connected constantly. Every time it drops out, we need to send someone to the site to unplug and re-plug it.

I’ve run the Windows command to generate the WLAN report (netsh wlan show wlanreport) and the results show a lot of connects and disconnects happening very often (it's rare for a connected session to last even an hour).

• The disconnects are always logged with Event ID 8003, and give the reason as "The network is disconnected by the driver".
  • The disconnects are always preceded by Event 4042: Capability change on {563d716f-7cea-4272-b8dd-0b83c1294e7a} (0x47008004000000 Family: V4 Capability: Internet ChangeReason: ActiveHttpProbeSucceeded.
  • They are often, but not always, preceded by one or another of these events as well:
    • Event 4042: Capability change on {563d716f-7cea-4272-b8dd-0b83c1294e7a} (0x47008004000000 Family: V4 Capability: None ChangeReason: CapabilityReset
    • Event 4042: Capability change on {563d716f-7cea-4272-b8dd-0b83c1294e7a} (0x47008004000000 Family: V4 Capability: None ChangeReason: NoAddress)

I realize the report describes the reason as driver related, however I suspect there is something else going on here. The driver is the latest one available, and the history of the computer itself makes me suspect something in Windows 10. The computer originally ran Windows 7 and used a different USB wifi adapter. It then had a hard drive fail and when it was replaced we upgraded to Windows 10. Immediately after this, the original USB to wifi adapter started to experience dropouts which it had not done for the previous 2 years of stable operation under Windows 7. We therefore thought that maybe the old USB wifi adapter had failed or did not have good compatibility with Windows 10, so we got a newer one (the TP-Link Archer T2UH), but the problem persists.

So, given that the old Windows 7 installation ran for 2 years with no issues while the Windows 10 installation cannot stay connected despite trying two different adapters and different drivers, I suspect it's something in Windows 10 that is responsible. However I am now out of ideas as to where else to look or what to try further. Can you offer any advice on how we can get the computer to stay connected to the network?

Thanks,

Adam

Continue reading...

Back