Windows 10 RDC Manager on reset Surface Pro 4 disconnection reason 3848 when connecting to Hyper-V virtual machine

• Thread starter Thread starter icelava
  • Start date Start date
I

icelava

I swapped from stock Remote Desktop Connection to RDC Manager (2.7) back when I began using Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro to scale some painfully small remote desktops larger for its high-DPI screen. After that low-quality hybrid laptop died from multiple organ (components) failures, I acquired the Surface Pro 4 as my next hybrid device. I continued to use RDC Manager since SP4 also has high DPI (although strangely I cannot configure it to scale like with the Yoga 2 Pro, but that is another separate story).

So from this SP4 laptop I'd frequently - via RDC Manager - remote desktop to my work computer (Windows 10) in another room, as well as other virtual machines within (VMWare Workstation). No problems there.

Last year, I had to discard VMWare Workstation because I wanted to implement Hyper-V virtual machines on my work computer. One VM runs Windows 7 Home Premium. It was only later did I realise (too late) that Home Premium edition doesn't feature proper RDC. Fortunately, RDC Manager has a VM Console Connect mode - connecting to a Hyper-V host (work computer) and then viewing the guest VMs' console screens. Wonderful. I could thereby remotely control that Win7HP VM.

Yesterday though I had to hard reset the entire SP4 device with a USB recovery image. On entry into the fresh clean OS, I installed RDC Manager and popped back in the old rdcm.rdg file I backed up. The settings let me reconnect immediately to my working computer as expected. However, when I tried connecting to its Win7HP guest VM (with the original rdcm.rdg settings), it fails with

Unknown disconnection reason 3848

So in searching around it seems the most popular reason is the "Hyper-V host CSSP policy does not authenticate user credentials from remote location."

RDCMan v2.7 Unknown disconnection reason 3848

But, in my mind it loudly begs the question: why didn't I need to do any of these last year when I first activated Hyper-V on my work computer and established this Windows 7 VM? How did my previous image of the SP4 OS and RDC Manager manage to connect right off the bat?

My work computer and its Hyper-V and VM configurations have not changed at all. Only the SP4 (remote client) has. What possible client-side differences could have happened with this new OS and/or RDC Manager installation, that contribute to the problem?

Continue reading...

Back