Windows 10 Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

• Thread starter Thread starter Windows10Dev
  • Start date Start date
W

Windows10Dev

In September 2015, I upgraded from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Pro using the free upgrade offer. But after one or two months, my PC developed a fault due to a sudden power fluctuation in my area. As a result, I had to replace my motherboard, processor and hard disk. Later, when I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro on my PC and tried to activate, I was unable to do so as neither I remembered my product key nor my license was linked digitally to my Microsoft account. Till now, I could somehow manage using my organisation's activation service, but now I want to claim that old licence. When I log in into Microsoft account that I used to sign in into my PC before the failure, my PC is shown in the list of devices and a code (MS-XXXX) is written in the description. I have not used this account since then on any other Windows 10 PC to avoid any confusion. This is the only proof I have about my ownership of a valid/legal Windows 10 Pro License. Is there any possibility that I can have my old license transferred to my new PC (after hardware change)?

Continue reading...