Windows 10 Receiving Error 0x204 attempting to connect to a Windows VM using Remote Desktop for Mac Version 10.3.3 (1667)

• Thread starter Thread starter Raider Power
  • Start date Start date
R

Raider Power

Hello all. Recently I have not been able to use Remote Desktop for Mac Version 10.3.3 to access some Windows 10 VM's that I previously was able to access with no issue. I am getting the below error.

We couldn't connect to the remote PC. Make sure the PC is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled.

Error code: 0x204

I have looked at a number of articles that speak to this issue occurring, but have not been able reach a solution. I should note that I recently upgraded my Mac to Catalina, but I think this issue began to occur before I upgraded from Mojave, but I may be wrong about this. Also note that when I am working from home I connect to our work network using Pulse Secure VPN, but I have been using Pulse for a long time and have been able to connect to our VM's with no issue. Also, when in the office, I get the same error, even though I am hardwired directly into our company network.

A common solution I saw on the web from various sources suggested the following:

Quit RDP on the Mac, hold the option key & click on the Go menu to enable showing the Library & select that.

Within that user's Library (NOT the top-level Library folder),

navigate into Containers and set aside com.microsoft.rdc.macos and com.microsoft.rdc.mac (one of those is for v8, just pull them both aside).

go back to the User's Library and open the Group Containers folder.

Set aside the folder

UBF8T346G9.com.microsoft.rdc

In the Terminal (logged in as the user in question) issue the following, which will reset (kill and it will then auto-relaunch) the preference caching daemon, as prefs are AGGRESSIVELY cached in current versions of OS X.

killall cfprefsd

I tried the above steps on my machine, but unfortunately without success. Might anyone here know of other steps I might try to take to resolve this issue? Maybe some network settings I might need to adjust? I have tried turning on and off Symantec Endpoint that I have on my Mac, but with no effect. Unfortunately, I cannot uninstall Symantec as it is managed by our IT department. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if this question is not posted in the right place, as I was not sure what topic I should post this under. Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back