Windows 10 Recently installed Windows 10 to SSD. Can't access old HDDs' programs or user files

• Thread starter Thread starter IanVrmrs
  • Start date Start date
I

IanVrmrs

Hello,

I recently bought a brand new copy of Windows 10 and a Solid State Drive to put it on. I was upgrading my Motherboard, CPU, and RAM and figured I'd do this while I was working on the PC.

The MoBo, CPU, and RAM installation went flawlessly. Windows 10 installed as normal to my new SSD as well. Then, I reconnected my old HDDs with 10TB of storage space between them, hoping to use the first, 2TB drive (D:) for programs and user files and the second 8TB drive (G:) for all other files (I do a lot of video editing and that can take up a lot of space.

Unfortunately, now Windows 10 boots up from the SSD. Normally, this would be a great thing and it is! It's cut my boot-up time from 15 minutes down to 40 seconds. However, I can't access my old User folder on the D: drive, and if I try to open, say, Steam for example from the D: drive, it says the directory is not writable and it can't use my already existing library of games.

I've attempted the usual solutions of claiming ownership of the drives, but this problem persists. I don't have enough room on my SSD for all my programs and files and I certainly DO NOT want to format these drives that currently have 2.43 TB of my data on them.

Ideally, I would like to keep my SSD (C:) as my main drive for boot-up, but then have all my programs except the most important ones I need right away linked from my D: drive. As well as import my personal User folder from the D: drive over to my C: drive... or at least a few important folders.

Continue reading...

Back