Windows 10 Recovery of previous Windows Installation as well as all data in it from a formatted hard drive

• Thread starter Thread starter Blossom Ayogu
  • Start date Start date
B

Blossom Ayogu

Hello. I have a HP laptop that dual boots Windows 10 and Ubuntu Server 18.04.3.. I wanted to install an update to the Ubuntu server from a bootable USB drive with the version 18.04.4. I used a software called Unetbootin to create the bootable USB. The installation process came to a halt and produced a kernel panic error when it was installing the kernel, during the final part of the installation. I tried the troubleshooting option from the list of options given to me by the bootable USB, but it still halted and produced an error. When i canceled the process i was warned that it will make my drive not to be a system drive (something of this nature. I can't remember the actual error). But i couldn't go forward or backwards, i could only cancel, so i had no option.

When i tried to reboot my system before i tried troubleshooting, i was met with a grub Unknown Filesystem error of which i tried to fix but i could not find this file '/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' in or outside the grub directory. Now, after the so called troubleshoot, i get a non-system disk error and my entire Hard drive is formatted with ex4 file system.

So far, i tried using a software called testdisk, which i use in a linux (Fedora) live Operating System on a USB drive, to recover the partitions. But i don't know what to do next, as when i try to list its content or repair MFT, it produces a filesystem error.

I want to know if it is possible that i could use a data recovery software to recover my files, to another storage device, then properly format my hard disk with NTFS file system, then transfer the contents back to it and make it bootable, restoring my previous Windows installation. I have no backup, neither do I have a recovery image. I have come a long way with my PC. Please I need your help.

Continue reading...

Back