Windows 10 Remote Desktop Host Sleeps After Only Five Minutes

• Thread starter Thread starter omero99
  • Start date Start date
O

omero99

I host a computer that is used by a few people in a small organization. We use Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) to access the computer - even me and the computer is in my basement. RDP works fine and everyone is able to get access to the computer and do their work.

Last fall I figured out how to use network enabled Wake on Lan to remotely wake up a sleeping computer. Once I had educated my users on how to use Wake on Lan, I enabled sleep mode on the computer and set it for 30 minutes. Keeping the computer sleeping when not in use has several advantages and I intend to continue to keep it set up this way.

There is a problem, however. Despite the computer's sleep setting being set to 30 minutes, when there is a remote desktop connection, the computer goes to sleep after only 5 minutes of idle time. This is distacting as you can't leave your remote work for more than a moment or sleep knocks your connection down and you have to log back into the remote connection. I know that it is sleep that is knocking down the connection because when you try to log in again, you cannot do so until you run the Wake on Lan application to wake the computer back up. Then it lets you sign right in again. (I've also just gone into the basement and looked at the thing - it's asleep!)

I've tried extending the sleep time and set the display timer to never. This does not change things. When using RDP, the computer sleeps after 5 minutes of idle time. If you work locally, sleep is normal and the machine sleeps after 30 minutes.

I cannot find any settings in Windows that would allow me set timers differently than from the standard power settings. Why is this happening?

Continue reading...

Back