Windows XP Renaming a program in Program Files: How to circumvent the problems without reinstalling?

• Thread starter Thread starter Windows Setup
  • Start date Start date
W

Windows Setup

I get the dreaded "is not a valid Win32 application" even after I renamed it back to its original name! I can open the program of course then open the file perfectly within the program. This happened when I regrouped some programs into folders in Program Files so they are organized better. When I installed them I also had them grouped on D drive and they worked great. I really want to be able to rename folders when necessary without going through this living **** each time. Is there a better way of redirecting XP to look in the right place for the program it needs? When programs are grouped its so much better. The problem is your needs change and often things need to be renamed and re-organized.

Another way is to use a flat land system with tags or labels. Is this possible in XP? Sort of like how programs are usually installed in C:\Program Files alphabetically. You could create a label/tag group like Word Processors and it could include all your programs that do that. The benefits of this of course is one program can be in multiple groups. This is especially good if one program reads several different file types.

Continue reading...

Back