Windows 10 Reoccurring but intermittent audio and video playback stuttering, then blue screen and boot loop

• Thread starter Thread starter Smithyy2075
  • Start date Start date
S

Smithyy2075

I have never posted here before so please forgive me if I am unfamiliar with the proper etiquette.

I have tried to give a brief overview of steps I have taken in case I have done anything daft and also my uneducated guess as to what might be the problem. An even briefer summary of that is as follows:

I suspect that Asstor64.sys showing a DPC routine execution time of upwards of 71000micro-seconds is causing system interrupts repeatedly and these are long enough to cause the system to crash. (I know I don't really understand the words I have just said)

BRIEF BACKGROUND

- I started experiencing video playback stuttering and audio buzzing after replacing my CPU cooler (may well be unrelated I am not very knowledgeable).

- I initially started by trying different audio ports/HDMI combinations, checking for driver updates.

- The stuttering got progressively worse.

- At the worst points the system began freezing for anything from 1-20secs. Varying from unresponsive individual programs to totally frozen and unable launch task manager or get any response at all.

- These led to blue screen crashes. On two occasions they then resulted in boot loops that only ever showed the blue ***** loading splash screen before crashing again and then attempting system restore with varying success.

- Often then upon booting successfully the system would start to hang and then crash with in minutes.

I have very limited technical understanding and have spent the last week trying to use google to research possible causes/solutions.

Occasionally the system boots and is stable. It currently is and I cant seem to do anything to cause an issue, but a restart or the next time I turn it on after a full shutdown there seems to be a 9/10 chance it will re-occur and crash the system with varying impact. From simple reboot to barely able to boot into safe mode.

CURRENT IDEA OF ISSUE

I saw several forums with similar seeming issues recommend running LatencyMon among others to monitor the system.

After more than 70 hours the only consistent issue that correlates with the crashes I can find is LatencyMon shows Asstor64.sys regularly with a DPC routine execution time of upwards of 71000micro-seconds. I don't know what that is but everything else when stable rarely shows execution times of more than 150micro-seconds so that seems like it maybe related to or the cause of the issue.

- I have checked my Motherboard manufacturers website and updated the related driver and also run a driver repair. I have also updated the other available system drivers from the manufactures site and checked for updates through Device manager.

- The CPU and GPU temps stay around 25-30C at all times

- The CPU usage rarely peaks above 15% during the stuttering.

- However Task manager does show a process called 'system interrupts' go from 0.1% CPU usage while stable to upwards of 12% when stuttering is peaking.

- The RAM usage sits around 30% and doesn't spike noticeably during the stuttering peaks.

My limited and vague understanding is that Asstor64.sys is a process related to the driver for the SATA ports on my motherboard, which interface with the HDD, SSDs and the ODD.

- Disconnecting the ODD had no affect.

- Disconnecting the HDD seemed to help initially but then the issues returned.

- Rebooting seems to consistently result in an unstable system.

- Shutting down and then powering back on from the power button also seems to result in an unstable system

- Shutting down then unplugging the PC power supply for 20 seconds or so, waiting until all Motherboard lights turn off and the plugging it back in and turning it on with the power button seems to be the only way to get a stable system but uncertain if this is related or coincidental.

I don't even know if this is the right place to ask for help but if you got this far thank you for reading this and any information you could give or if you could point me to a resource that I could use to attempt to resolve this issue I would be grateful.

SYSTEM DETAILS

MotherBoard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula/Watchdogs

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz

RAM: 16GB

HDD: Seagate Barracude ST2000DM001

SSD1: Crucial CT240M500SSD1

SSD2: Crucial CT512MX100SSD1

Continue reading...

Back