Windows 10 Robocopy copies folders not in Documents to my backup Documents folder on 2nd drive.

• Thread starter Thread starter TWWade
  • Start date Start date
T

TWWade

I currently have 2 PCs with Windows 10 that I backup Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos to a 3rd PC folder that is backed up to the Cloud. On my PC, the Music, Pictures and Videos folders are not under Documents. They are at the same level as Documents under my user name.

I had been using SyncToy to do the copying, but had to switch to Robocopy because SyncToy does not work right under Windows 10. All works fine. The SyncToy command and then the Robocopy command run on the 3rd PC.

I want to eliminate the 3rd PC and move the backup folder to a 2nd hard drive on my PC. That is where the problem begins. Robocopy will now run on my PC. When Robocopy copies the Document folder to the backup Documents folder, it copies 'My Music', 'My Pictures' and 'My Videos' to the backup Documents folder. These folders do not exist in the Documents folder. It appears that there is some link that connects 'My Music' to the separate Music folder. The same applies to 'My Pictures' and 'My Videos'.

This is the Robocopy command that I want to use to copy the Documents data to the backup Documents folder:

robocopy C:\Users\my name\Documents C:\Users\my name\Dropbox\PC1\Documents /mir >> c:\robocopybackup_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-10,2%%date:~-7,2%.log

I tried adding the /XL Robocopy option to block the copy of these unwanted folders to my backup:

robocopy C:\Users\my name\Documents D:\Dropbox\my name\Documents /XD "C:\Users\my name\Documents\My Music","C:\Users\my name\Documents\My Pictures","C:\Users\my name\Documents\My Videos" /mir >> c:\robocopybackup_%date:~-4,4%%date:~-10,2%%date:~-7,2%.log

This did not help. Please tell me what to do.....

Thank you!

Continue reading...