Windows 10 Robocopy tells me files are modified, but I can't find any difference

• Thread starter Thread starter cpw83
  • Start date Start date
C

cpw83

Hi,

after a recent upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I stumbled upon a weird little problem that I don't understand at all.

I do all my backups with Robocopy. All important data is on a local hard drive (D:), I use another, identically sized local hard drive (E:) for internal backups (kind of a "manual RAID 1" if you will) and additional external hard drives via USB. All of those drives use NTFS.

My Robocopy commandline looks like this:

robocopy D:\ E:\ /E /ZB /COPYALL /PURGE /XD "RECYCLER" "$RECYCLE.BIN" "RECYCLE.BIN" "System Volume Information"

I ran this on Windows 7 (with Administrator rights) right before the upgrade to Windows 10, so pretty much all data on both drives should be identical, including NTFS-ACLs et cetera.

When I ran this after the upgrade to Windows 10, Robocopy regarded all the files as modified and started to copy everything again. I stopped Robocopy after a couple of files to investigate and run everything with /T to see what was going on without changing anything.

What I figured out so far: /COPYALL (equates to /COPY:DATSOU) is the culprit, respectively the attributes S, O and U. If I use /COPY:DAT, Robocopy will - as expected - not regard the files as modified. If I use any of the other options in any combination (e.g. /COPY:DATS, /COPY:DATO, /COPY:DATU), Robocopy claims the files were modified. It will however not touch the files that were previously copied again via /COPYALL in my first attempt, so apparently there was a change in the ACLs (S), the owner information (O) and the auditing information (U) taking place on one of the NTFS volumes at some point during the Windows update.

The thing is: I can't find any difference anywhere. I checked and compared everything I could find in the file properties and had a look at some files and folders with icacls on the command line, absolutely everything seems to be 100% identical.

What am I missing? Is there any other way of getting information about ACL, owner and auditing information of files and folders that might reveal a difference?

Thanks in advance!

Continue reading...

Back