Windows 10 Root CA certificate automatically added to local machine without internet connection

• Thread starter Thread starter Zhi Xuan Lim
  • Start date Start date
Z

Zhi Xuan Lim

On a fresh installed Windows 10 in virtual environment, that is disconnected from the internet (by disabling the virtual network adapter), new root CA certificate is automatically added to the local machine trusted root certificate authorities after viewing the digital signature of a PE file (properties --> digital signatures --> choose one of the signatures and press "details").

Could you explain how Windows is obtaining the new root CA certificate when the machine is offline? As I understand, it should not be possible to obtain the new root CA certificate as connection to Windows Update Web site is unavailable and PE file typically does not embed the root CA certificate.

The question i am asking is similar to this root certificate authority automatically added without internet connection . However, the older thread is does not have a conclusive answer and is locked from further discussion. Hence, I am re-posting the question. Any help will be much appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back