Windows 10 Running a Windows XP Virtual Machine inside of Windows 10... need help with activation.

• Thread starter Thread starter Dennis Freeland
  • Start date Start date
D

Dennis Freeland

Good afternoon, all!

I work at a major university and we have a strange IT issue. I'm trying to get this done without breaking any user agreements / etc., and doing everything legally.

Here's the situation... in one of our labs, we have a piece of analysis equipment that only works on Windows XP. For years, they were using a Windows 7 Machine running Windows XP Mode. That machine died and we were able to pull the hard drive, and create a VM in Hyper-V to use on another machine running Windows 10. Unfortunately, we cannot see the lab equipment on a VM within a VM for some reason (we've tried many things).

So, it seems like the only choice here is for us to attempt to migrate the existing Windows XP VM from Windows 7 to the host machine, a Windows 10 machine. It came up, but Windows XP shows as not being activated. We tried to activate by phone, and I purchased / tried to use another activation key, but that didn't work either (to be fair, that could be a version mismatch).

Any advice?

Continue reading...

Back